Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

S10 Blazer Skid Plates: Where to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
I have not seen any tests, but what I have seen first hand....the aluminum hold up much better. Typical, being they are heavier and metal. The same hit that might crack or fracture a carbon fiber plate, would scratch/dent or bend an aluminum one.

If I remember correctly, I think blazen_red_4x4 posted a picture of his CF plate cracked after hitting a tree stump.

Safe to say, aluminum is probably preferred, but carbon fiber is better than nothing.
Thanks for the feedback. For now I installed the two of the front three I got from eshaw on my Blazer. I find myself looking for mods that will increase the truck's durability, not necessarily allow me to do more with it, just do the same with more peace of mind.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:41 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mazatzal Jimmy
I cannot for the life of me seem to find it now... But I remember reading an article that the composite skids scored better in GM testing at their proving grounds vs the aluminum. The composite skids can flex and absorb smaller impacts that would dent an aluminum skid. If you're wheeling hard enough to bust a composite skid you probably should invest in steel lol
Yeah, I faintly remember reading that the composite's slide on rocks better.

I'm currently running them because they are so much lighter than the aluminum, with almost the same strength. For some reason, I think the 10lbs makes a difference.

I found some old threads on here and s10forum where a guy used to make and sell s-series steel skid plates. Wonder whatever happened to that guy..

Last edited by N. Jensen; 05-07-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've got a buddy with a welder, who has offered to fab me up whatever custom skids I want. When the tine comes (hopefully this year, I got too many blazer projects I want to do) I'm gonna pick up a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" steel, and have some serious armor. I'll be sure to post pics and dimensions, of course

Old 05-07-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I've got a buddy with a welder, who has offered to fab me up whatever custom skids I want. When the tine comes (hopefully this year, I got too many blazer projects I want to do) I'm gonna pick up a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" steel, and have some serious armor. I'll be sure to post pics and dimensions, of course
Sound awesome! If you need any measurements, let me know.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:01 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Front skid plate

Engine Skid plate - forward is to the left

Transmission case - forward is to the left.
Finally managed to take some rudimentary pics of my 1994 OEM equipped S10 Blazer 4x4.

It features 3 skid plates made of aluminium.
The first is between the bumper and the lower crossmember (below the radiator).
The second is under the engine Two bolts to the engine crossmember and two on the sides of the frame.
The third is under the transfer case and bolts to the transmission crossmember and the aft cross frame.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:06 AM

Thanks Error_401!

I actually saw an 86 S10 Pickup Sport edition at the salvage yard last weekend. The front skid was missing, but the other two were there. Off topic, the interior was very cool.... Bucket seats and door panels adorned with the 'Sport Edition' insignia. I will snap some pics if it's still there.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by eimios
Looking forward to the info here! Eventually I'll be hunting down a full set for my truck
What year is your rig?

Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I've been looking for a gas tank skid for my 2000 4-door with no luck. I'm probably going to end up making one out of either steel or aluminum.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:17 AM

I have a composite one I have yet to put on still...lol
Rarely do you find the aluminum ones in decent shape. I have seen a few, but they were so rusted, i didn't even try to remove.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I doubt I'll be able to find one. And if I make one, it will be stronger than the factory one, anyway. The plastic tank just looks so vulnerable now.

Quick Reply: S10 Blazer Skid Plates: Where to start