Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

So what color is WA9539 really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve
Default So what color is WA9539 really?

I've been trying to get my new rear bumper painted. Bought paint and supplies and dropped it all off at the body shop. They sprayed the bumper and it's not the right shade of green. The description on the can is medium/polo green metallic. Everything I've seen online says it should be medium green pearl metallic. I even had the paint shop put the PPG prophet on the truck and it came back with the same thing as what they mixed up. Anyone have any insight on this? The first 2 cans of paint were Omni brand. This last time I sprang for the PPG Deltron. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Medium green metallic is all I come up with. However, the metallic nature of the paint may lead to the reason for the different shade. It all depends on how the metallic laid out in the paint. I'm not a painter, but my basic understanding is that the metallic can either lay out flat, or stand up in the paint. Laying out flat can give a lighter coloring while standing up in the paint will give it a potentially darker coloring (depending on the original pigment color). I believe it is a function of the gun pressures involved, but I am sure there is more to it than that.

I was able to get a perfect match to my Rainier that is a dark green metallic.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:48 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

When my 95 Blazer got rearended a few years ago, the body shop pulled the paint code and then came out with a bunch of color chips. We then proceded to match the paint to the chips. He said that due to the sun fading the paint slightly that if you mix it up with the paint code it won't match. So we got as close as we could and then he sprayed it. It was perfect.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Most of the panels have somewhat fresh paint on them already. At least one full side, the hood, and the other front fender. Possibly more.

They laid a coat of the Deltron paint on the bumper. Much, much better. When they did the prophet at the paint shop, it spit out a formula very similar to the original, but with a little more black and a little more gold pearl. I'm thinking the Omni paint system has the wrong info. Because everything I've found says Medium Polo Green is WA9529. Waayyy to close to 9539. I'll find out for sure on Monday.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 04-16-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:43 PM
hvy_v83 is on a distinguished road

You don"t get near as good a color match from omni as you will in deltron especially colors with a lot of metallic and pearl