Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:43 AM
KLBlazer07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spare tire

Alright, so I wanna remove my spare tire rack, and I was curious how the tire mounts inside in the back? If anyone can help me out, that would be awesome. I know there are some models that the spare is under the vehicle by the tank too. But I wanted to put it in the back of the truck.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:05 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Spare tire

Well for one you would have to build a mount to fit the tire on the drivers side in the rear of the cargo compartment, it would have to stand upright so not to loose to much of the cargo area. There is a rear tire carrier that fits to the passenger side rear tailgate area and swings away...you probably already have that since it was mostly installed on the 2-door Blazers...

Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 AM

Yeah, i have that rack on the back, wanna get rid of it. I was curious if there were any aftermarket brackets, or if someone had one that had a mount in the back and could help me out.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 AM

I don't think that there is an under body kit since the 2dr gas tank is in the spot where the spare tire is mounted on the 4dr...I have seen photos of people laying their spare tires in side the roof rack area of the roof. The only other idea is a pre-runner truck bed spare tire carrier mounted in the cargo area but then you loose cargo area space. I had an idea of a flat steel plate bolted to the drivers side fender with either a spin on nut to hold the tire in place.... but then any idea of putting the spare tire has to think of safety of rearview site lines...so the drivers side is the logical place to mount the tire...

I remember station wagons of the 50's, 60's and 70's had their spare tires mounted in wells behind the drivers side fenders along with the lug wrenches and lifting jack. So you would have to figure some thing out like that????

Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 AM

Yeah, I can give a little bit of cargo room, just need to find that bracket.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:29 AM

ORIGINAL: KLBlazer07

Yeah, I can give a little bit of cargo room, just need to find that bracket.
You might have to fabricate it yourself since there is not a lot of interest in the aftermarket for this.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

You might be better off getting a roof basket and puttig it up there, I got a 1st gen 2 door and I went to put the full size rack spare in the back, it was a nightmare and didnt fit the recess that GM left for the small full size spare.

Im glad I got a spare one, might put it on my new 2 door to free up space in the back.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

my blazer has a bracket on the floor in the trunk and a bracket on the drivers side fender in the trunk. it has some pieces ofhardware to secure it but they werent the right size and my tire would fall off if i secured it upright. i just set it on the floor. i lose trunk space but i dont really need most of it anyways. i can get pics if you want but im at school right now so maybe later. let me know. also like 20blazer00 said about the station wagons my jack and tire iron are also on the driver side fender in the trunk.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

In mine it is mounted on the inside drivers side. Not a full size spare but a "donut" will serve the purpose for a couplehours or days till I fix the Flat. What about goin to the scrape yard and pullin the stuff out of truck that has the inside mount. Can't recall if the mount was welded to anything inside. Might be bolted in there

Old 03-07-2007, 07:26 PM
robert is an unknown quantity at this point

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE SOMETHING OFF A LATE 90 'S SINCE THEY MOUNTED ON THE INSIDE