Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tail Gate Glass Will Not Open on 1999 LS Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Gailstrail is on a distinguished road
Default Tail Gate Glass Will Not Open on 1999 LS Blazer

Yesterday all of a sudden my tail gate stopped opening. I have one of the push buttons on the back outside that usually releases the glass that I pull up and I reach in and open the tail gate. The glass will not release. Any ideas on what needs to happen to make it work?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it make a sound like it is attempting to unlatch? If so, you have a broken actuator arm which is a common problem. There is a relatively detailed thread out there somewhere. A search or two should turn it up.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Beginning Member
MLRS327 is on a distinguished road

Swartlkk is likely right. This happened to mine. Crap plastic arm broke from the actuator. Presidential Solution: Take off the actuator and epoxy in a small bent nail into the hole where the arm broke. Depending on size of nail might have to drill out hole slightly. Just be delicate with it. Mine has been going strong for about 6 months now. That's just if you don't want to spend money on a new one.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Stronger replacement arms don't cost a lot.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

It could also be the Blue plastic clip inside broke... I already replaced one in a members veh from this board, I got the replacement part at NAPA auto 5$ for two in one pkg...

Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator

blue plastic clip == actuator arm.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member

Didn't know the arm could be purchased. Thought is required a whole new actuator. I tried to pull the broken arm from the actuator with no luck. Well there you go.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/...+50014+2014003 on that page is the blue clip that we`re talking about that prob broke..

Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Beginning Member

Cool. Now I know when my rig fails.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Gailstrail is on a distinguished road

Is there anywhere to get detailed instructions as to how to get to the 'actuator'?

Quick Reply: Tail Gate Glass Will Not Open on 1999 LS Blazer