Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tail light help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Beginning Member
sifko36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tail light help!!

I just got my new tail lights in the mail. And i'm trying to install them but I dont know how to remove the second screw on each side. How do I remove these screws? 2002 Blazer

Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'm guessing you have the tailgate style rear... I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove that gas cylinder that slows the tailgate down when you open it in order to access that screw. I havn't looked too extensively at how it's held on so I can't help you with the removal part.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

That little piston should pop right off the tailgate if you have the tailgate style...mine did anyway. After that you will have to use a special kind of screwdriver in order to get the angle. It's a sideways one, no idea what it's called though...I'll see if I can find a pic.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sisk
That little piston should pop right off the tailgate if you have the tailgate style...mine did anyway. After that you will have to use a special kind of screwdriver in order to get the angle. It's a sideways one, no idea what it's called though...I'll see if I can find a pic.
Lol, buy a cheap screwdriver, heat it up, stick it in a vice and bend it... or just wait for Sisk to get you the name/pic of the tool.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member

i got the little gas shocks off so im all good now. but my lights dont fit. i compared the new ones to the stock and the new ones are a little bit smaller so when i put them in they look wierd. so i think im going to return them

Old 07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Where the joint connects from the tailgate to the truck, you will see a little silver metal clip running around the ball shaped joint. You need a small screw driver to push the silver clip upwards. Once you have it slid up, you just pop the piston off.

A tough thing to describe through words!

I just took my tail lights off a couple days ago, because I also got new ones. I had to take a look through my Haynes manual to find out how to do it.

Edit: Sorry, guess I'm too late! Would you mind posting a picture, or link to the lights you bought? I would like to see them...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member

sure no problem the link to them is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2962&viewitem=

Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Taillight removal of screws on insides of lights,,, after you remove the piston out of the area that holds the tailgate, pull back on the rubber around the metal of the body just enuff to eb able to get a screwdriver in there to unscrew the lights you do NOT need a bent screwdriver.. Ive had my taillights off plenty of times ,, i see you live in Western NY . What town? I`m in Selden , If your near me i`ll help you with the install...

Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Taillight removal of screws on insides of lights,,, after you remove the piston out of the area that holds the tailgate, pull back on the rubber around the metal of the body just enuff to be able to get a screwdriver in there to unscrew the lights you do NOT need a bent screwdriver.. Ive had my taillights off plenty of times ,, i see you live in Western NY . What town? I`m in Selden , If your near me i`ll help you with the install...

Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sifko36
i got the little gas shocks off so im all good now. but my lights dont fit. i compared the new ones to the stock and the new ones are a little bit smaller so when i put them in they look wierd. so i think im going to return them
Exactly the same as the one's I bought. Mine fitted fine although because they're after market lights they are not a perfect fit. ( the curve was not quite the same)

Quick Reply: Tail light help!!