Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tailgate to liftgate conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road
Default Tailgate to liftgate conversion

Anyone ever converted their 4dr (2nd gen) Blazer/Jimmy from the tailgate/hatch to a one piece liftgate? I wish my '04 Blazer had the liftgate but don't have any idea what would be involved in the conversion. Obviously, a liftgate and new lower latch. Maybe some different interior trim in the back. Anyone?

BTW, I searched for "tailgate to liftgate conversion" and didn't come up with anything.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Beginning Member
bob_elder is on a distinguished road

why do u want a lift gate?

Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe it can be done since the rear bracing and structure is different on the liftgate trucks. You'd need new side windows and the liftgate and the floor latch and trim at least. I thought I read the mounting points and hardware was totally different so it can't just be bolted on.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by bob_elder
why do u want a lift gate?
I think they are cleaner looking without losing any of the functionality. Also, 90% of the time I access things in the rear of the truck, I have to drop the tailgate anyway. Without the tailgate in the way, I can reach things towards the back seats easier.

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
I don't believe it can be done since the rear bracing and structure is different on the liftgate trucks. You'd need new side windows and the liftgate and the floor latch and trim at least. I thought I read the mounting points and hardware was totally different so it can't just be bolted on.
Side windows should be the same on all 4drs. I wasn't aware the bracing and structure was different. I figured I'd need the liftgate, floor latch and trim and I assumed the mounting points would be different.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

The windows are the same size but the rear corners are on the liftgate and not on the window on the liftgate models. Check this Craigslist picture of one. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/1440426320.html

Old 11-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Ah. I see that now. Looks like the end caps are what hides the struts. I never noticed that before. Looks like a much bigger job than I thought. Damn. Thanks for the reply, though.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have thought about doing the same thing. The thing to do is find someone that has a liftgate model and put them side by side and take notes on whats different. I think it could be done. More than likely the differences are going to be the bottom plate where it locks.

I looked at a 99 liftgate model, I liked the fact that you had an easier time loading things into it.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The whole back end of the truck is different. The roof connection is beefier and there is the recessed latch in the bottom. There are a lot of differences.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like I won't be tackling this project.