Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

tinting windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 AM
splat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: tinting windows

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

I suggest just taking it to a pro and paying the 150.00. Not just to save the headache of doing it, but to have it done right and you will also get a lifetime gaurantee for all of the problems that can occur (peeling,bubbling, cracking etc.) A very small price to pay if you figure the amount you will spend on the matterials and tools (let alone time) that you willneed just to screw it up yourself (no offense).
That warranty you speak of, only applies if the windows are tinted to the legal limit, which not many shops tell you.
But he is right, if you have never done this before, and don't feel comfortable doing it, then take it in to get done.
It's really rather easy to do once you get the hang of it. But some people just all out suck at it lol.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 PM
blazer123456789 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got my windows tinted and they look good i did use the heat gun idea

Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Are the front 2 windows in a 4 door pre tinted any. I'm thinking of doing a tint on them. I heard that the road legal state limit in CT is 35%. I don't want to do a 35% tint, then get pulled over for them being too dark.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Any glass has a slight tint to them, from the process they use to make the glass. It's usually like 80% or so if you meter them.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

The back windows and the tailgate are blacked out basically. You can't even really see through them. So, if I put a 25% tint on the front window, I should be good with the coppers, huh. Or should it be a 50%. The tint gets darker the lower the number gets, huh.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 AM

Yes it does. 20% usually best matches your factory tint, depending on the tint maker.
Yes, the lower the number, the darker the tint.
My tint is 18% carbon injected. As you can see in the pic below, it matches perfectly.

BTW, your going to hate tinting your windows with those ventshades on. They get in the way.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 AM

Is that street legal? I don't know about that. A friend of mine had dark tints on his car and got pulled over for dark tints. I'll check the CT state law and go from there. As for the ventshades, I'm going to get new ones. The ones that are on there now have breaks in the tape strip, so opening the window when it rains out is pointless.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 AM

No, it is not legal. I think CT legal limit is 50%. It is 50% here too.
You don't need to get new ventshades because of the tape strip. You can take them off, take off the tape. And put new 3m double sided tape on them. Use the stuff the put molding on cars with.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 PM

Oh yeah, I got a roll of that somewhere. I used it for my ventshades on my old car. I'll have to look for that. It sounds like it will be a job to do at the same time. Thanks splat.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the inchannel ones (I've had the other ones on other vehicles) I luv these and there is never a need for tape or anything.

Quick Reply: tinting windows