Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

tips on prep work

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough
Default tips on prep work

I was going to monstaline my bumpers and rockers on my 99 jimmy. However, removing the body cladding leaves a large ridge and several holes. So I decided the best way to get in all the tight spots and leave the cladding on would be a spray. I've found that the rustoleum bed liner in a spray can is supposed to be good stuff. A lot of people on f150 forums have used it and it looks great. My question is, what kind of prep work should I use? Some people say just sand and clean well, others say sand, prime and then top coat. What do y'all think?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

WELLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol speaking from experience and IMO great results take your time taping off all of your lines really well and make sure they are straight and follow any lines you want them to. This part sucks but its worth the hassle for that quality look when your finished. I removed my bumpers and grill so that I could make sure I got good coverage on everything. Next take the scuffing pad that comes with the kit an make sure to scuff everything really well. I took a little extra time and went along all of my tape lines and made sure they were really well scuffed so the liner has less of a chance of chipping or peeling off along the edges. I think it worked out well and was worth it as I still have nice crisp lines and no chipping or peeling anywhere. Make sure you clean everything really well with whatever cleaner you have so there is no from scuffing under the liner. I didn't use any type of primer and I don't really see any need for it this stuff covers really well. As for the small little spaces I just used the foam brush that came with the kit and got into and around all of the small spaces really good. You can also use the foam brush to add a little texture just by dabbing it on the freshly covered spots but the roller will do a pretty good job of that for you as well. I put the first coat thick and I ended up putting two complete coats on with 3 in some spots. I would have done 3 complete coats but it was dark and very cold when I was finishing. You will see how it coats and builds texture as you apply it. I love the texture I got from going back out like an hour after I was finished and running the roller over it again just to give it that little extra. The time between will probably differ for you since it should be warmer for you that it was for me. I would suggest that if you can do the prep work the day before and then put your first coat on early in the am and recoat throughout the day. I did mine on Saturday and let it sit on Sunday and drove it to work on Monday with zero issues. I wouldn't even try to put a top coat over it either theres just no need for it. Another little thing I learned to make it look new again after you get it dirty is that you can wash it with the tire brush really well and then when you put the armor all on the tires rub some on the monstaliner as well and its so nice and sparkly and shiney lol!!

Last edited by rexmburns; 09-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I have had mine on for two years. When going over paint just scuff the clear coat till the shine is gone. Then clean it good. If going over bare metal i would use a self etching primer first. Other then that its pretty easy.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Hey bud did you ever get the Monstaliner installed?

Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 PM

Not yet, been too damn busy workin on othere peoples rides to enjoy mine lol. Can't complain about the extra loot though, gotta ride the tide while its high lol. Will definetly post pics when done!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

I hear that! Make the money while its there to be made

Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

I know this is old, but did you ever get the monstaliner on?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM

A buddy talked me into monstalining his s10 with my kit, I posted pics in a different thread, both of us loved the way it turned out. I'm definetly going to order a new kit.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

good to hear. I'm planning on doing my rockers this summer. This winter was not very kind to them so far..