Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Undercoating the frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Undercoating the frame

2 years ago I cleaned and sprayed the frame with 3m undercoating. Needless to say it doesnt hold up well to a powerwasher. Its not looking so great and I figured this weekend I would redo the frame. I planned on using a truck bed roll on liner. Wal-mart sells Rustolium I believe, theres also the cheaper duplicolor, and then Herculiner. What are your thoughts on these? The Herculiner is $29.99 and its only 1 quart. Hopefully thats enough to do the exposed part of the frame. Also these kits don't come with rollers. Im going to guess a foam roller is bad news in this case so should I use

Also should I use any rust inhibitor before painting or use rust inhibitor, prime, paint?

Thanks in advanced.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

well if you go the herculiner route, get 2 quarts and just paint it on with a 3" paint brush. the roller is faster but not needed... (bonus have some crap ready to herc with the extra stuff; like ladder rungs, mugs, boots, jack stands, etc since it doesnt store well)

if you go rust inhibitor, you will still have to clean thuroughly, so you might as well just scruff the rust off while you're down there (which you will have to do to herc it)

if you rust inhibitor+prime or just rust inhibitor BEFORE herc-ing it, you will have to scruff the new primer/inhibitor so the herc will stick 9the more agressive the scuff, the better the herc will stick (meaning green scratchy = light stick, wire brush air tool style = strong bond.

the 3m stuff you used, how good was your prep job? is it the soft "rubberized" undercoat, or the "magic shell" style undercoat? either way it should stand up to a pretty decent beating if you prep correctly. if you want it to last, prep yer a$$ off...

i'd go with the herc (i have infact ) but for the frame i would NOT mix the herc and just paint it like thick rubberized UC, instead of the little "bits" mixed if for crap to stick too. i did my skid plate with the pellets and regret it a bit (would rather have it than just spray paint or rattle liner though.)

in the end it's you call

Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

You have to clean it pretty well for the bedliner, some of them won't stick unless there is a base coat on it of primer or paint also. I'd suggest getting some wire cup brushes for a angle grinder and die grinder to clean it with.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

I undercoat my frame every fall with 3m , with all the salt on the roads around here it's a must . I always get comments on how nice my frame looks .

Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Starting Member

LOL I should have figured you would chime in. You herculiner the hell out of everything. 2 quarts is honestly more than I would like to spend lol. I will start with 1 quart and if I run out I will get a second. I will grind the **** out of the frame with a wirewheel on a grinder. rust inhibit. I may even roll on a coat of black paint as a primer then take 120 grit to it. Then roll the undercoating on with a cloth roller. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran

sounds like a solid plan. when shes dressed up, we will need pics

Old 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
Murphy Mumgart is on a distinguished road

Over the summer I put my green blazer on a lift and just painted basically everything with black chassis paint. There's no more rust and it looks much better. If you're interested I could find out exactly what the paint was.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Beginning Member
Inferno is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, no go on the foam rollers-- they'll start to disintegrate after a few moments, leaving pieces of foam behind on your work. Try to find those plastic loop ones.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Starting Member

I figured that with foam rollers like the speedy rollers. I still havent found any roller I want to use and I am going to wait till spring to do it now. I did buy a gallon of rustolium undercoating and its on my to-do list now. Plastic loop rollers?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran

it's like a scrubby spounge

Quick Reply: Undercoating the frame