Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

ZR2 Fender Flares

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 Fender Flares

Hey Everyone, so ive been considering painting the fender flairs on my blazer for a good amount of time now. I would be painting them with the black bedliner stuff, but im not sure if it will bond properly. What kind of prep work would i need to do to get it to bond correctly? Also, im starting to get a tiny bit of rust on the bottom of the drivers door, what can i do to stop this from getting any further?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Rough up the surface of the flares with some 80 to 100 grit sand paper, use a good primer and then spray away.

As for the rust, grind it down to bare metal, bondo, prime and paint unless you are going to bedline the rockers.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM

for the fenders, what is a good primer to use on the plastic surface?

for the rust, i have seen people use the bedliners all the way alone the rockers, what would it take to do that? is it worth it?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

With doing the bedliner on the flares I would do what AJBert said with sanding them but you wont need to use a primer. Wipe them down with prepsol or any other wax & grease remover, wipe off & go for it with the bedliner [this stuff is made to stick to anything].
As for the small amount of rust on your door, I would use some rust converter or nutraliser before putting on the bedliner.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:21 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I agree, there is no need to prime if you're using bedliner. Just make sure the surface is clean first and you shouldn't have a problem!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Alright and hey if it doesn't work I can always sand it off and try again =p does everyone think it would look good to paint the rockers and fenders with the bedliner?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I've seen it done several times before. It's not really my style, but I don't mind it. It adds a certain ruggedness to the trucks

Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Sisk, you drive a darker colored truck, i think the black and red contrast very well together and thats what looks good =p but still its all a matter of opinion. For the prep work should i just sand the metal and the plastic down a bit to rough up the surface, then a good anti rust primer on the metal and paint away? thats what ive gathered lol

Old 01-05-2010, 02:45 PM

btw heres the areas i was thinking about painting....

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

You should remove the flares of your truck for a start[ saves alot of masking] give them a sand & wipe them down with a paint prep wax & degreaser then paint them.

As for the lower panels, where you have the small amount of rust use a rust converter or nutraliser [this isn't an anti rust primer as you already have the rust]
Wipe your panels down with the wax & degreaser then wipe dry, mask of areas with a low tack masking tape & news paper [no need to sand these areas] & paint them.

Quick Reply: ZR2 Fender Flares