Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

ZR2 Spare Tire Carrier (ugly!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I just simply never use the back window except for when backing up close to something. Just use side mirrors for 100% of driving. Maybe not the safest approach, but I'm used to it now and don't have any problems.

Would be nice to be able to see out back though. When I drive other peoples vehicles it blows my mind when I notice I can see things directly behind me.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member
Netcom is on a distinguished road

Funny thing, I just removed the spare tire carrier off my Blazer yesterday. I like the look without the carrier. I pulled off the latch plate on the swingdown door and just put the screw back in but the hinge screws stick out too far without the hinges there. Anyone have any ideas on something to fill the six hinge screw holes ?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
craigthebull is on a distinguished road

I have a 99 ZR2 and my tailgate was smashed in when i got it so I picked one up at Pick and Pull painted it and then went to transfer the spare tire mount and it will not bolt up the inside plate that it bolts to is only in the blazers with a factory outside spare and without cutting the new one open you can not fit it in the tailgate. I went to pick and pull and got the inside spare hardware (you are right there is none of the mounting stuff in the trucks with outside carrier)and i am going to put mine inside for now. the brackets are still on the body cause i have not figured out how to make them look good yet but i will. also the 31 inch tire will not fit inside you have to go smaller and if you get a flat on the rear you will have to rotate the spare to the front the ZR2's have limited slip rearends.If you go inside get the jack cover from one with a inside carrier your other one is different.before i did this I made my own drop bracket for my spare and it was easy cost about 10 bucks and lowered the tire 4 inchs it blocks a little of my plate but not enough to get a ticket.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Pre-runner bar with a tire mount? Thats what I want. It would look BAAAAD-ASSSSSS

Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Starting Member
GregW is on a distinguished road

I shaved my spare tire carried on the back of my old Jimmy and carried a spare in the trunk.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:08 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Netcom
Funny thing, I just removed the spare tire carrier off my Blazer yesterday. I like the look without the carrier. I pulled off the latch plate on the swingdown door and just put the screw back in but the hinge screws stick out too far without the hinges there. Anyone have any ideas on something to fill the six hinge screw holes ?
yeah...........a welder, some sheet metal, and a little cheese.

take your time with the sheet metal, and you'll be able to go easy on the cheese.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member
wreckhur is on a distinguished road

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=552885_0_0_

I used this stuff, shaving the entire truck. It worked well for the bolt holes left by the tire carrier. I wacked the hell out of it with a body hammer ( I was already doing body work there) held like a champ. When I sanded it, it was just like steel. Used my filler and than paint it looks beautiful, I'll be posting pics of it on my build tomorrow if you wanna see.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road

If you have the capability of painting your truck well, then thats the best idea Wreckhur..

But I will lose that luster that the truck has, never having any bodywork done to it. No one seems to know how to do any bondo or painting around here, and most people that get into accidents or buy salvaged vehicles can be spotted from a distance. Plus, unless the whole truck gets painted, you could tell which parts have original paint and which parts were repainted.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member
wreckhur is on a distinguished road

Hahaha or you can use bedliner like i did and than paint it, looks good, totally custom and easy to do for a first timer. Like me.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:47 AM
ZR2HEAD is on a distinguished road

Im having the same issue, I want to remove the rear carrier, I have a 2dr ZR2. Is it easy to remove and can you plug the holes? I will probably mount my spare inside for day to day driving and remove it and take my chances on those rare ocassions when I need the room to transport something in the back.

Quick Reply: ZR2 Spare Tire Carrier (ugly!)