Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Anybody try one of these chips on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member
holaman is on a distinguished road

I think those issues are addressed at that site that I linked you all to. (Seriously!) Regards, Eric

Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is covered in that site, but that is besides the point of this thread which is about these miracle black boxes.

That site lists nothing of the damage that you could and will likely cause from making these modifications through trickery. Running rich for too long can plug up the catalytic converter. Is that an expense anyone is willing to incur? And before anyone just suggests chopping the cat out of there, be aware that this is illegal in the US and I believe in Canada as well.

Tricking the computer to staying in open loop operation is also a sure fire way to really decrease your mileage. Again, is that something you are willing to work with?

For those that have no other options, maybe it is. But for any 96+ truck, just get a proper tune and enjoy your vehicle. Most tunes pay for themselves and you will realize more gains from a proper tune than any of this trickery can accomplish.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I would not waste my money on something like this. It may be cheap but I would rather spend my money on a proper engine tuner.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

Off topic But Cutting out the Cat is Legal in Alberta, Canada.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Beginning Member
holaman is on a distinguished road

I was only saying that a guy who is determined to do the mod can do it on his own without spending money on the voodoo box. I think my intentions were misunderstood here.
However, having said all that, I also will say that it isn't that hard to rig up an "A/B" switch and/or an on/off switch so that you can quickly go from stock to modded to stock again as needed from the comfort of your seat. Since the vehicle spends very little time in the "modded" position, there is little chance for damage. It's not a bad option for the poor slobs like me with a 95 who apparently don't have the programmer option. I have another car that I also had few options for but plenty of naysayers. You can read about it here: http://www.500ecstasy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5998 It's a long thread but it is good reading (You've got to read the whole thing and the links too!). And it proves that almost anything is possible! Regards, Eric