Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Best programmer for a 4.3?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member
2003ZR2 is on a distinguished road
Default Best programmer for a 4.3?

I was looking to purchase a programmer for my 2003 zr2, all stock except for the K&N intake, has anyone prefered one over the other in particular?
Is there any that out preform others?

Any suggjestions welcome!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

A true aftermarket tune is much better than any programmer you can purchase...by far. There are a few companies that you mail your computer to, let them know what mods you have and what you would like, they send it back and you re-install.

If you can't have your vehicle down for that long, pick up an extra computer from the junkyard, use that one while you send your in (make sure it works first) and then enjoy when you get yours back.

With that said, I have the HPP3 from Hypertech. I bought it soley to be able to run different size tires and have the speedo correct. Can't say if I gained much on the engine tune as I used it right after I installed the body lift and 33's. I can say there is a difference in the tranny tune. Firmer shifts and the tc doesn't lock and unlock when going up hills like it used to. I don't use it for codes as I already had a code reader.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'll start by pointing out that I have no experience with programmers. I'll also point out there's a reason for it...

Power programmers give you a "generic" tune from the company that will work with ALL vehicles... Your ZR2 isn't "all vehicles" though, your ZR2 runs a little different than others do, not drastically but enough to make a slight difference. Now with that being said they can't get the most performance out of ALL vehicles, they can just get performance... not enough for an adjective...

If you go to a PCM tuning outlet like pcmforless.com, you'll pay less money for a tune and get more out of the tune... Savy? Programmers don't usually take into account any mods you have, like your intake...

NOW... if you want to go crazy, hit up blackbearperformance.com (The Brettster will say the same). You send them a security deposit, they send you a cable and some software, you use a laptop to record vehicle data while driving. You send that info to Black Bear and tell them things like what you use your truck for blah blah blah (most PCM tuners ask for info like that anyway, just not the data). They use the data and tune either a NEW PCM or your PCM (including one you bought from the junkyard, they'll flash it for your VIN). You pay for the tune, they send you the PCM, you slap it in the truck, use their cable and software to do a crank position sensor relearn, and once you send them back the cable you get your security deposit back.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM
brycegood is on a distinguished road
Default Great Tune!!!

I have a 2001 blazer with the 4.3 and i took it to jesse bubb at wait4meperformance and he tuned it for only 75 bucks! It made a big difference, it shifts better, better gas mileage, faster from 0-60, Big difference!! im real happy with it!! if you want he will send you a new computer for 160 bucks that is already tuned! You just cant beat the prices he has! he can also calibrate your speedo when he tunes it!! check him out at wait4meperformance.com

Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

$175/hr. & I get it dyno tuned. They already have the base info from my blazer in the computor so it's plug & play when I do any mods that could be tweeked in the PCM. Usually takes much less than an hour now.
It's truly the way to go if you want it tuned specifically to your vehicle. Although blackbearperformance.com does sound very good as well.

"wolf performance" in my sig. <--- can't say many people would say No to him tuning their vehicle

Last edited by Rottidog; 11-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Custom tune is the way to go, agree with everyone on this. But contrarry to Rotti, I think a street tune is the way to go... IMO... Dyno you may be able to tweak the hp to it's full potential, but a Street tune you can fine tune to YOUR driving habits and get real data on how you drive. Just because you have peal hp on the computer, doesn't mean it has the best 'feal' for your driving style/road conditions.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

I had a Hypertech tune on mine, and it was good, netted me 1-2 MPG increase, but no noticable power gain. Had a friend of mine give me a "street" tune though, and that has given me a 3 MPG increase and a noticable power gain. That tune was free though.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
Custom tune is the way to go, agree with everyone on this. But contrarry to Rotti, I think a street tune is the way to go... IMO... Dyno you may be able to tweak the hp to it's full potential, but a Street tune you can fine tune to YOUR driving habits and get real data on how you drive. Just because you have peal hp on the computer, doesn't mean it has the best 'feal' for your driving style/road conditions.
agreed