Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

C-clip eliminators

Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default C-clip eliminators

Who offersa axle C-clip eliminator kit forS10/S15 Blazer ,10-bolt, 7.5"/7.6", 28-spline axles with rear drum brake ABS?

I must assumethe rinky-dink c-clipaxle retentainersmust be eliminatedif you want to get rid of the Eaton Gov-Loc differential and replace it with a Eaton Posi, Detroit Tru Loc,or someother more reliabledifferential for occasional off-road use?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: C-clip eliminators

No need to eliminate them if you are moving to any of the limited slip applications. You just have to make sure you get a diff for your application. Have a look around the Eaton Differential Product Page. They have the product manuals for download which go through the basics of the installation.

C-clips can take a lot of abuse without problems. It is not until you get very hard core that you would want to look into getting rid of them. And at that point, I'm sure that the 7.625" rear end would not be what you would want under the back of your truck.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

I have the part numbers to replace the OEEaton Gov Loc differential with a Detroit Locker - Tru Trac, Detroit Locker, Eaton Posi - Limited Slip, Auburn Pro-Series, Auburn - High Performance and a Powertrax/Lock Right No-Slip for Gov Loc's.

I see no way to put a C-clip on the axles when using any of those differentials except the Powertrax #92-0776-2885 No-Slip for Gov-Locs. The Powertraxisprobably only one I must use if I cannot find a c-clip eliminator kit.

Even if I keep the original Gov-Loc differential ,apparentlyno one makes a c-clip eliminator kit for the axles used with a 10-bolt 7.5"/7.6" differential? I guess the manfacturers don't make them because "why would you want C-clip eliminatorswith a 7.5" ring gear and a Gov-Locdifferential" No one in their right mind would usethose rear end assembliesfor competition.

Justification:
Lazy peoplelike memaywant to eliminate the c-clips to make it easier toremove the axles.After eliminating the C-clips, not only is it easier to remove the axles but it is also much safer in case you break an axle.NHRA and other sanctioning organizationsrequire C-clip eliminators is most classes and especially onthose axlesthat are easy to break. . The same applies to the Summit aluminum differential cover/girdle I recently installed. It is mainly for convenience of changing the differential lube which needs to be done regularily with a Gov-Loc.TheEl Cheapo chrome covers look cool but do not have drain plugs.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of what you just listed for differentials are available for c-clip use, but maybe not available for the 7.625" rear axle. When replacing the entire diff carrier, the replacements are available to just swap directly in without any problems. Eaton Posi is just one that I found. I can not spend a lot of time searching, but I know that others are available. Do not get hung up when sites like summit list open case in the application. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer tech line. I have dealt with both Eaton and Auburn Gear tech lines and they were both very good at answering the questions I had.

I do not want to get into a pissing match here. But are you really going to be drag racing this? How often will you be removing the axles? The drain plug in the diff cover may be one thing for convenience... Still I do not think that it is worth the $$$ for a cover with a drain plug due to the infrequent requirement of gear lube changes, especially when using synthetic gear lube.

If you want to do it, by all means. My limited searching resulted in no options for these axles in this application in terms of c-clip eliminators which is probably due to the fact that people just do not do it to these axles. They upgrade to better, stronger, and more popular axles.

Good luck with your search. I hope it does not turn out to be a waste of time.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

Thanks,
Apparently I can use theOE C-clip on the axles as usual with any aftemarketdifferential. That is good to know because I don't want to spend$480 to $550 for a differential and find out in requires a C-clip eliminator kit that does not exist.Surely, the manfacturers of those units would have mentionedthat requirementin the discriptions.

No drag racing will be involved with The Blazer.I merely need todeterminewhich aftermarket differentialis bestto eliminate the OE Gov-Loc before it pukeson me somewhere nearCold **** Wyoming. Aftermarket differentials for a T10 Blazer SUV with the little 7.6" ring gearare as varied as women's shoes.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Just swap axles to a ZR2 rear end. You can get 'em for about the same cost as the all this work you're doing to make a 7.625' better, but this way you would have a nice 8.5' end.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned

I considered that option.

I am watching a complete 2001 Blazer 5-speed, 8.2" , 3.42:1 Gov-locdisc brake rear endassemblyon E-bay. Unfortunately they want $1000 for it plus shipping because the sellerobviously knows how sought after those are.If I could find a good one of those type assemblies in a local salvage yard for half that amount I would grab it. Just like all other rare parts, I may be looking for one of those for five years at that price before I couldfind one.

Another problem is that my OE 1991 rear end assembly is a 3.73:1 GT4and I want to keep that gear ratio. I feel that if Imanage to get rid of the Eaton "G80" and install a Eaton Limited Slip #19599-010 for $500, my7.5"/7.6" R&P gear set willbe up to the task with a V6 engine.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

After a littleresearch, I found that C-clip eliminators are not available nor are they needed with a Chevy 10-bolt 7.5"/7.6", 26/28 spline differential. Anyone with an engine that puts out serious power will never use that differentialanyway so no one makes a C-clip eliminator kit for it.

I have exploredoptions for several different limited slip and locking type differentialsas a replacement for the GM Gov-Locdifferential. I decided aRichmond Powertrax No Slip differential. The Powertrax No Slipdifferential and theSummit cover/girdlethat I have already installed, will be strong enough for whatever I do to enhance the power output of the 4.3L V6 engine. Beforemy3.73 Gov-Loc scatters and ruins the housing, I will installtheRichmond Powertrax No-Slip Differential (#92-0776-2886), which is also available at Summit at the cheapestprice.The couplers in the PowertraxNo Slip differential are designed to acceptthe C-clip axle retainers and simplelogic should have told me that. I did not want to purchase a differential and find out C-clip eliminators that do not exist are required.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator

I am glad you got it all figured out!