Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

CNG Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:21 PM
davidshaw291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CNG Conversion

Has anyone ever been involved in converting a Blazer to CNG(compressed natural gas)? I couldn't help but notice that there were several companies that offered CNG retro-conversion kits for Chevy Blazers. Just curious about it. Cost? Hassle? Performance..?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: CNG Conversion

Biggest problem would be fuel source. I know Utah has a wholleee lot of CNG stations....but as for me in Raleigh, NC, we've got one station.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 AM

Yeah but you can fill up at your house(assuming you have NG) so probably 90% of your fill-ups will be at $1.75 per gallon. Ching! And I think the easiest conversion is a Duplex arrangement, where you simply add-on the CNG components and you can switch from gasoline to CNG with the flick of a switch. It really seems cost-effective, too: $35K for a new Hybrid SUV or $4K for a CNG conversion? The hardest part of converting is finding room for the tank. Blazers have plenty of that and also, it solves one of their biggest problems: TheDreaded Fuel Sending Unit Failure

And it's supposedly better for the environment, car runs better, bla-bla-blah....but this and everything I've said is all theory and I'd like to hear it from someone with actual experience. Anyone?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

i havent heard of it. how does it affect horsepower?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Here is a Dept of Energy page that shows where to find alternative fuel sources

http://afdcmap2.nrel.gov/locator/

Old 05-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Again, a duplex conversion would let you keep both fuel sources(gasoline & CNG) if case you wanted to go on long trips or weren't going to be home in time to fill up. However, I would be nervous relying upon a gas and gas pump that has sat, unused, for weeks in a pinch. Not to mention, your fuel economy would not be optimal hauling two tanks around in your vehicle.

I've read that you should expect a 10% drop in horsepower. Range should be the same. Engine life is supposed to be increased as NG burns much cleaner than gasoline. Suppose to be safer in an accident, in theory...

Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I've heard the CNG/Hydrogen is safer in a wreck theory....they cite that the hydrogen/CNG goes upwards and dissappates, whereas the gasoline falls and pools on the ground.

I still feel like explosive decompression is much more dangerous than a gas leak, but that's just me

And is it really 4k? What all has to be done as far as feeding the fuel to the engine? I would guess that's most of the cost, or maybe a high pressure storage tank is more expensive than I thought. (I'm curious to see if a half/half setup could be done?)

Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Actually, it appears that the half/half set-up is the standard:

http://www.mycngkit.com/Buy_CNG_Natu...oyota_CNG.html

And you were right, kit costs $950, the tank costs $2K!

You know, numerous people on these forums have sought some"magic modification" that will somehow boost their Blazer's mileage by 50%.Well, I think this is about as close as you're ever going to get...

Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

This is the lpg options available in New Zealand. They have been using this since the 1980's.
Interesting reading. Conversions on my Blazer will cost me about NZ$5,000.00

http://www.gasuup.co.nz/page.php?16

http://www.rockgas.co.nz/pdf/4wd-aug-LPG-article.pdf - New Zealand 4wd magazine report.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 AM
burak sozer is an unknown quantity at this point

Its very common her ein Turkey too, most cabs are running by CNG or LPG. But it smells
Conversion costs 1000$ only here, but I dont like some reason. Istill keep the gasoline.