Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Converting to an electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting to an electric fan

Well I have been pondering about converting the mechanical radiator fan to electric. I read a few posts about it on here and they wernt that informative but I did come up with somethings online. They basically had it hooked up to a relay, it consisted of ignition wire to relay, ground to relay, positive to relay and then to fans, and finally grounding the fans. I dont know if any of this makes sence but I think it should work fine but I came across something that stated you needed to have the fan run faster when you turn your AC on. So, If thats the case would have to wire it up differently, if anyone has any comments your help is appriciated, thanks.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Beginning Member
Coyote is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Converting to an electric fan

Keep you stock clutch fan, the electric fan will not move as much air. I have done this on a Dakota I had a few years ago it was good in the cold months but ran hot in the summer. I put the stock clutch fan back on.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 AM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point

If you put an efan on it, then I would put 2. One that turns on when it reaches a certain temp and one that turns on when your ac is on. For the 1st one, I would put a temp probe in the radiator and wire it up to that so it kicks in when it reaches a predetermined temp. As for the one that turns on with the ac, just ground it and run a relay that taps into the ac clutch circuit.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look into the ford taurus e-fan. Best bang for you buck. Here is some good info e-fan and here is a good write up- http://s-seriesforum.com/how-to-efan.html

Also for the 2 comments posted previous. This fan will def. move more air than you manual fan. Also since this is a 2 speed fan you don't need 2 fans.

I was able to get my fan from the junkyard for either $25 or $30 bucks(dont remember). Then probably another $30-$40 for the temp switch. relays, wiring.... Well worth it in my opinion.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 PM
The A Team is an unknown quantity at this point

I did it in mine and seen zero improvement in anything. Just a big waste of $$$ in my truck cools great, but no power or mpg gained with it.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

What fan setup Clay? I still want to convert my jimmy to electric fan. Should allow the engine to warm up a little faster in winter, cool better and more consistent in summer. If I can get any more free HP or mileage that would be a bonus.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point

I forget about the 2 speed fans. But 2 fans would probably move more air than a single two speed.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Well thanks for the opinions and info. Im kind of stumped weather to go through and do it though. Im not looking for big improvements, just a setup possibly more efficient but, like jason said hp and mpg increases is a plus. So is it worth it to go through and do it or should the stock fan and clutch stay on??

Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have to ask... Why does everyone think that an electric fan is more efficient?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 PM

Well I came up with the thought of doing it through others opinions and so forth. So really I dont have a specific opinion towards e-fans and thats why I posted on this subject. But swartlkk, what would you say about electric fans because I dont want to waste time and money if the stock fan is more efficent.

Quick Reply: Converting to an electric fan