Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Converting to an electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 PM
The Slacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Converting to an electric fan

Stick with a clutch fan! There are few reasons why you will ever need to convert to electric. Maybe if you run through high water and need to shut it off or if you overheat at idle. Clutch fans will reduce energy consumption at operating temperature so I woulnd't worry about any "performance benefits"

Old 06-21-2008, 01:35 AM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

the more electronics the more problems you have to worry about. and if it takes a crap on you while you are driving your sol.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 PM
The A Team is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya like i said i put one in my truck, basicly just wasted $260. No gains in any areas, power or millage, no probloems with it either. The thing is the stock fan works just as good, and doesnt cost you anything. lol Bottom line its a pointless upgrade.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
ChevyBoy413 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok first off these guys have NO clue what there talkin bout...i have 2 10" fanson my 97...works great!...hook it up to a 25-30 amp switch with an in-line fuse run it to the inside of the truck and good to go...u gain power and about 2 mpg...the reason u gain power is ur removing that heavy *** fan and clutch...therefore taking stress off the engine making it faster...common ****ing sense!....second off if ur too worried about things just go to summit and get a flex-a-lite fan...its a very light fan that will fit ur stock clutch...and with that being said...ur good to go...have fun!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense eh. Well good for you! The stock plastic fan and clutch don't weigh much at all so don't know what tree you are barking up there. And I do know more than a thing or two about fan setups.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: ChevyBoy413
the reason u gain power is ur removing that heavy *** fan and clutch...therefore taking stress off the engine making it faster...common ****ing sense!...
Stock fan: Mechanical energy -> mechanical energy

e-fan: Mechanical energy -> electrical energy -> mechanical energy

Every time energy is converted, you lose efficiency. If you can find a fan that's more than 100% efficient in order to cover the conversion losses, then you might do alright.

I wish you luck in finding a fan that's more than 100% efficient...

Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

You engineering students think you're so smart. I'm still gonna do an efan swap though.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With a v8 swap, you have very few other choices.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I already have a taurus fan on the v8, but I want one for my 4.3. That was it's just one less thing to do when I v8 it, hah.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Go efan, that way it doesnt sound like a F-16 taking off when you use your AC...

Quick Reply: Converting to an electric fan