Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Electric fan upgrade worth the time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Ricco is on a distinguished road
Default Electric fan upgrade worth the time?

Hello everyone! I'm been thinking about replacing my factory fan for an electric fan, I did it once before on my brothers Cherokee and it got really quite and had less wasted gas and a tiny bit more noticeable power as the fan isn't holding the engine and creating power restriction, yes there's a few modifications that needed to be done but it worked. Has anyone here done this? Any advise or results to share?

Old 08-10-2015, 06:39 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Ihave and was very happy with the results. Same you stated above

Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by newguy
Ihave and was very happy with the results. Same you stated above
Thanks for replying,
Did you ran into any trouble or needed special modifications else than relays and coolant sensor?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:49 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Living in hot Florida, it was one of the first things I did to my 04 when I got it. Intrepid/Sebring/Concord fans are easy to fit in. Hardest part is the wiring to be honest, and even that's not too difficult. Low speed on these fans is enough to keep the engine temp right at thermoset temp while idling on the hottest summer days with the AC on full blast

Attached Thumbnails Electric fan upgrade worth the time?-img_20140507_190922.jpg   Electric fan upgrade worth the time?-img_20140512_200129.jpg   Electric fan upgrade worth the time?-img_20140512_200641.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Its on my bucket list to do.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:26 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Did you ever wonder where the electric fans get THEIR power from?

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Did you ever wonder where the electric fans get THEIR power from?
If only vehicles had an existing electrical system that would support an e-fan without needing any additional upgrades...

Automotive alternators do not control their electrical output by varying their mechanical load on the drivetrain. The mechanical load of the alternator on the drivetrain stay the same regardless of the power requirements of the vehicle, and the stock alternator is already making enough power to run an e-fan as long as you haven't added other power hungry systems like a big stereo.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 03-10-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:05 PM
BF Veteran

I believe someone here did it with an adapter between the temp sensor and the block

Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
If only vehicles had an existing electrical system that would support an e-fan without needing any additional upgrades...

Automotive alternators do not control their electrical output by varying their mechanical load on the drivetrain. The mechanical load of the alternator on the drivetrain stay the same regardless of the power requirements of the vehicle, and the stock alternator is already making enough power to run an e-fan as long as you haven't added other power hungry systems like a big stereo.
Can I ask where you get this info from? Because every generator I've ever seen or used, will need more power input to increase the output. Unless the alt is running at 100% of the time already, adding a larger electrical load will require more force to turn the armature than before.

I'll admit the power draw curve from the stock fan to electric fans will be different, you will still need to produce the power somewhere.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:15 AM
BF Veteran

Agree with Above post, but a scrap yard d244 although and a new longer belt is fairly cheap.

Quick Reply: Electric fan upgrade worth the time?