Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

fuel pump rigging

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
badcarma02 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump rigging

First of all thanks in advanced for Any help. I recently bought a 1998 Blazer 4door 4X4 for a daughter who will be driving soon and it has become a bit of a basket case. First I knew it was going to need some work but this is about to wear me out. When I bought it I knew the ignition had been changed and was not done well so I bought a steering column and put it in then it wouldn't run so after some research I found out about the passlock system so I put the old steering Columbus back in till I got other things done so I could move it around then I found the water pump was leaking so I changed it and while I was letting it run to make sure there were no leaks and clean up the tools I found it had a very bad fuel leak. Funny how neither of these things appeared obvious when I wad looking at it to buy and then drove home about 70 miles. Ok to my fuel pump problem ,the pump seems to function ok but the fuel feed line was leaking at the pump so I finely got the line off and found the plastic nipple at the line quick connects to was broken at the swell point on the pump. the line was hooked on but it allowed fuel to escape. I know the best thing to do is replace the pump with a AC Delco not an aftermarket cheaper brand but the cash just isn't there at the moment. I have the tank pulled and even after reading about being careful about not breaking the fuel vent valve I still broke it. The pump in it is the same as autozone sales and since it was working before my question is has Any one had this problem before and could it be fixed with a regular rubber hose pushed over the swelled portion of the broken nipple and use a hose clamp to secure it or is the plastic nipple to fragile to withstand how tight the clamp would have to be because of the pressure on the line. I didn't want to try this and find it leaking and have to pull the tank again.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

here ya go..
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...s-fixed-63397/

I know it's wordy.. just pay close attention to the fix nipple part

This can be done regardless of size.. just need right tubing. Note: dont drill all the way to the crack with the passage bit. Tubing should be 'interference fit'. If necessary, use one size smaller bit at that point

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-18-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member
badcarma02 is on a distinguished road

Thanks pettyfog apparently the fuel vent valve had been replaced before and Ive already picked up a new one but the one I broke was held in with silicone is that ok or does the tank itself hold pressure,the reason I am asking is I noticed in your thread the pictures show how it should be from the factory, thanks again.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The EVAP system pulls a vacuum on the tank and holds it. Any leaks will show up as a code. Any leak will trigger some sort of EVAP code.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Mine indeed was from factory that way.. it's 'welded' in. Some on here say their 98 plastic tanks vents were replaceable. You wont know till you take your old one out whether that silicone held it or just sealed it.
I'd look close and try to see if they just cut the old one out.
Of course you cant use just any silicone sealer, has to be resistant to fuel. Have no rec's on that.