Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

get more power for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 PM
marlboromanx1875 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default get more power for cheap

hey i dont know if anyone knows this but a buddy of mine just freed up a little more horsepower by purchasinga throttle body with therestrictor plate removed from it he says that he definitely feels more power at low end starts he said he went to www.cfm-tech.comhe also has a 2003 s10 blazer extreme didnt know if yall knew about that or not hope it helps.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: get more power for cheap

did he just get the throttle blade or did he get the larger throttle body? i've kinda been looking into doing this mod but kyle has mentioned if the restrictor is completely removed, the front cylinders foul up more due to egr gases from the air intake

i have thought about it quite a bit but i think its better to just remove part of the plate rather than the whole thing

Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

did he just get the throttle blade or did he get the larger throttle body? i've kinda been looking into doing this mod but kyle has mentioned if the restrictor is completely removed, the front cylinders foul up more due to egr gases from the air intake

i have thought about it quite a bit but i think its better to just remove part of the plate rather than the whole thing
Exactly, that is why im saving for a bigger bore throttle body!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, lets try this again... LOL First try at replying to this thread resulted in what seemed like the site going dead... Anyway, here are my thoughts:

I don't know what a lot of you guys are expecting from a larger throttle body with out supporting mods. I saw zero increase on 0-60 timed runs with my scanner with the deflector and without it. The deflector effectively reduces the flow area of the throttle body by around 25% @ WOT on the 4.3L v6 with 5/8" tall deflector.

This same throttle body is used on the 5.7L V8 with only a 3/8" tall deflector. On the 5.7L, the throttle body is located closer to the center of the intake, hence the reduced deflector. Also, this same casting for the TB is used on the Vortec 454 with a slightly larger bore and no deflector. The deflector is not necessary as the TB is located in the center of the intake manifold on the 454.

If I remember correctly, the 4.3L and 5.7L TB bore is 70mm and the 454 is 72mm. There are larger throttle bodies out there that state some pretty outrageous (IMO) claims of 10-15HP on a stock 4.3L/5.7L (huh? same increase on two entirely different motors??) and 25HP on a 7.4L... Hmm... carp anyone?

Here are a few quotes from other threads on this subject:

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The real reason the diffuser is on there (among the ones I have listed) is because the same TB gets used on the 4.3L, 5.7L (350), and the 7.4L (454) vortec engines. The only difference between the TBs is the throttle blade and the TB machining. In the 4.3L, the throttle blade has a 5/8" diffuser. The 350 gets a 3/8" tall diffuser and the 454 gets a marginally larger tb bore with no diffuser. I did not mention this before because we were talking about it's function on the 4.3L v6.

When you look at the TB position on these motors (yes I have worked on all of these motors), the TB gets closer to the center of the manifold the larger the motor. So I guess you could say that both are true. The diffuser is there to detune the TB for smaller displacements as well as to help out with directing the airflow inside of the plenum.
[quote]ORIGINAL: swartlkk

by Ernie1019
Thanks for the info on TB and 4L60E shifting.Here is a mesage I received from a guy who works with TBs as a business.

"The air diverter is only used to detune the motors, nothing more. Have gotten this straight from a GM power train engineer.
Think of all the motors that have the throttle body on the front of the motor and do just fine - TPI, LT1, LS1 just to name a few."
NOTE: he talks about front mounted TBs'cause I brought up the 4.3s TB being closer to front (not centered on cyls.)

"I believe we have already answered your questions, the diverter is to limit torque only."

I can't vouch for anyones answers on this TB stuff , to me it is still an unsettled question. I'll keep looking for others
opinions 'cause both this guy and swartlkk have powerful arguments. I wonder if anyone has run w/o the diverter
for a long time with lots of miles and then checked their plugs for signs of rich/lean from cylinder to cylinder.?
Would love to see someone run their 4.3 on a dyno with individual sensors on each exhaust port.
That will never happen though, but is probably the only sure way to know if any cylinders are running lean or rich.
Good luck with your TB work, sounds like a compromise (smaller diverter) may be the way to go.

I have posted a new name for this TB stuff since my "Plugs and wires" has morfed into TB talk.
Trying to keep my messages in line with heading. I am new and learning. Have a good day.
From this thread: Plugs & Plug Wires

The main difference between how the 4.3L SCFI (and 5.7L 96+ Vortec) is setup and the LT1, LS1, 3.8L v6, heck even the 4.3L CPI motors, etc is that these engines have the TBs facing horizontally into the plenum. With a vertically