Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Getting all the available performance out of the 4.3 V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:26 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough
Default Getting all the available performance out of the 4.3 V6

Alright guys. My 2001 Jimmy 4x3 with W code 4.3L has either a LIM or head gasket leaking some coolant on the back driver's side. I am also already planning on (have some parts for) doing the electric fan conversion, CAI, CAT and muffler, PCM tune, basically all the regular stuff.

I was thinking tho (coming back to the gaskets) that I'm not above doing some old school engine work to it to gain more power and hopefully make it more efficient at the same time. I was thinking a little hotter cam maybe, also port and polish on the heads and intake, a little 30 over bore and some higher compression pistons, the regular old school way of getting more performance.

Problem is, would any of those mods even do any good without ditching the factory intake for an aftermarket, or having to put on some PITA headers or otherwise having to go the whole 9 yards just to get a little more power. I mean, I'm just looking to get all I can out of it without losing all the electronics or getting too crazy in mods or money.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:58 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

the CAI intake shouldn't affect your electronics as far as that goes and allows your motor to breathe easier. if ur planning to do the mods u are you should realllllly consider getting the Cold Air Intake to go with it not to mention its usually the cheapest easiest performance increase on a motor.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM

yep, the CAI was mentioned as a mod that is planned to do, and I know it won't affect the electronics any aside from the PCM tune to take advantage of the change.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

shat srry... i read factory intake and thought u meant the piping for it - you mean the throttle body ?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM

The entire intake. Most people who are doing high perf mods of the engines are changing to standard carbuerated intakes, adding turbo/super chargers, or both. I'm really just looking to get all I can while maintaining the stock EFI so I don't have to worry about major computer changes or anything else along those lines. A PCM tune is happening regardless, and is necessary on a major change such as a cam, higher compression pistons, etc. I just don't want the changes to be a hassle down the road with constant SES lights or anything else along those lines.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
hellblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

well i got a throttle body spacer on my 4.3 and a cold air intake as well,then i have a msd ignition coil too and taylor performance spark plug wires and well cant go wrong with some flowmasters.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
dpossehl is on a distinguished road

Alton - Do you plan on tuning your own pcm?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:23 PM
hellblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

yea im going to get a chip for it from gforcechip.com.and well see what that does.