Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Guys w/ 33" mudders gettin better mpg than me HELP

  #1  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx's Avatar
Starting Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NEBRASKA
Posts: 102
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Guys w/ 33" mudders gettin better mpg than me HELP

I've been making real conscious effort not to go over 2- 2200 RPMS when accelerating
Getting 13.7 mpg av. In the city

I know the fuel and air filters need changed at least 50-60k old.
k&n drop or cone?
What's the best fuel filter?
Best reccomended spark plugs/wires.
Is a DIY cap and rotor replacement possible?

Lookin for some power too.
Lacking in that department compared to my buddy's 98' 4 door 8 inch total lift 33"Bfgs with sas front and a roof rack he gets 18-20 city
 
  #2  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:13 PM
BF Veteran
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SW Central OH
Posts: 2,252
pettyfog is a jewel in the roughpettyfog is a jewel in the roughpettyfog is a jewel in the rough
Default

Originally Posted by xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx View Post
I've been making real conscious effort not to go over 2- 2200 RPMS when accelerating
Getting 13.7 mpg av. In the city

I know the fuel and air filters need changed at least 50-60k old.
k&n drop or cone?
What's the best fuel filter?
Best reccomended spark plugs/wires.
Is a DIY cap and rotor replacement possible?

Lookin for some power too.
Lacking in that department compared to my buddy's 98' 4 door 8 inch total lift 33"Bfgs with sas front and a roof rack he gets 18-20 city
Nothing's impossible.. I've seen some weird things happen over the years, but MOSTLY I've found that anyone claiming kind of mileage is BS'ing.

K&N will not increase your economy... I dont care what anyone says
. The engineering physics says different. It will increase your WOT power.. that's it! It WOULD affect economy a little if your engine had a carburetor.. it doesnt!

I've been thinking a while about that BS and decided to do a project/video on why it doesnt. Soon as the weather gets nice.

13.7 in almost all city in the winter aint bad at all.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Sure DIY cap/rotor is possible. And it might increase mileage a little. AC DELCO only.
Fuel filter wont matter in economy. Where it matters is available fuel at WOT. Nothing to mess with so good idea to change it.
 

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.
  #3  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Xenon's Avatar
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 85
Xenon is on a distinguished road
Default

13-14 city doesn't sound bad to me. And I gotta agree, 18-20 city would be tough even for some economy cars... 20 highway should be no problem though...
 
  #4  
Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Jamaroon's Avatar
Super Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Niverville, MB
Posts: 1,131
Jamaroon will become famous soon enoughJamaroon will become famous soon enough
Default

Did he regear with the sas, that could be a large part of it too.

but ya, 13.7 city is not bad, I'm averageing 11-12 hwy
 
  #5  
Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx's Avatar
Starting Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NEBRASKA
Posts: 102
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Well thanks guys
But dang
I don't like it, feelin the pinch
-_-
 
  #6  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 PM
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sawyer Michigan
Posts: 5
bmwallace_88 is on a distinguished road
Default

i get about 22 on the hwy @ 70 and get about 15 mpg @ 25-45 mph. 01 with recent tune up and 5 spd 4x4
 
  #7  
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Phil's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 742
Phil is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post

K&N will not increase your economy... I dont care what anyone says
. The engineering physics says different. It will increase your WOT power.. that's it! It WOULD affect economy a little if your engine had a carburetor.. it doesnt!
If we're talking about just the drop in filter, I completely agree. But an actual intake kit has gotten me an extra 1.5 mpg. 10% gain over stock 15mpg. Just my experience is all.
 
  #8  
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SW Central OH
Posts: 2,252
pettyfog is a jewel in the roughpettyfog is a jewel in the roughpettyfog is a jewel in the rough
Default

Originally Posted by Phil View Post
If we're talking about just the drop in filter, I completely agree. But an actual intake kit has gotten me an extra 1.5 mpg. 10% gain over stock 15mpg. Just my experience is all.
Really? Find someone to explain why. I can explain why not.

Hint 'what is a throttle plate' and 'what does a MAF' do?
 
  #9  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 PM
oktain's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sudbury, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,214
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Default

Less restriction + less turbulent airflow is the advantage of an aftermarket intake. Paired with exhaust work you get a slight increase in power and fuel economy. I have also witnessed this. I have also witness how intake + winter driving is detrimental to fuel economy, and that's why I run the stock airbox in the winter.

The issue is people who change their driving style so they can hear the new sound...

And OP... if you're doing a tune up, don't chince out, you'll get better results with Delco parts. This has been discussed a lot here. Delco wires and plugs from the dealership. A little more money, but worth it.
 

Last edited by oktain; 02-07-2012 at 11:07 PM.
  #10  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Phil's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 742
Phil is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by oktain View Post
Less restriction + less turbulent airflow is the advantage of an aftermarket intake. Paired with exhaust work you get a slight increase in power and fuel economy. I have also witnessed this. I have also witness how intake + winter driving is detrimental to fuel economy, and that's why I run the stock airbox in the winter.

The issue is people who change their driving style so they can hear the new sound...

And OP... if you're doing a tune up, don't chince out, you'll get better results with Delco parts. This has been discussed a lot here. Delco wires and plugs from the dealership. A little more money, but worth it.
That is my best advice for better MPG. I've done intake, exhaust, lower t-stat, and my rims weigh less than the stockers. It's all gotten me to be capable of 17 mpg city provided I watch my RPMs when accelerating. Under 2500 in 1st gear and under 2k in all other gears. My ex had a 2000 Galant and she got 14 mpg. I noticed her rpms and how she was flooring it from red lights to try and get up to the speed limit as fast as possible.

And x2 on what Oktain said about Delco parts. Worth every extra penny to get quality parts.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
88BLAZER4X4
New Member Area
1
04-22-2014 06:35 AM
troyL
2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
12
11-29-2012 05:24 PM
dougn85
Off Roading
0
09-20-2011 09:49 PM
PubEnemy
2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
10
08-01-2011 08:27 AM
Autoidiot
Tires and Wheels
2
04-04-2006 11:42 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guys w/ 33" mudders gettin better mpg than me HELP


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.