Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Guys w/ 33" mudders gettin better mpg than me HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Guys w/ 33" mudders gettin better mpg than me HELP

I've been making real conscious effort not to go over 2- 2200 RPMS when accelerating
Getting 13.7 mpg av. In the city

I know the fuel and air filters need changed at least 50-60k old.
k&n drop or cone?
What's the best fuel filter?
Best reccomended spark plugs/wires.
Is a DIY cap and rotor replacement possible?

Lookin for some power too.
Lacking in that department compared to my buddy's 98' 4 door 8 inch total lift 33"Bfgs with sas front and a roof rack he gets 18-20 city

Old 02-03-2012, 12:13 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx
I've been making real conscious effort not to go over 2- 2200 RPMS when accelerating
Getting 13.7 mpg av. In the city

I know the fuel and air filters need changed at least 50-60k old.
k&n drop or cone?
What's the best fuel filter?
Best reccomended spark plugs/wires.
Is a DIY cap and rotor replacement possible?

Lookin for some power too.
Lacking in that department compared to my buddy's 98' 4 door 8 inch total lift 33"Bfgs with sas front and a roof rack he gets 18-20 city
Nothing's impossible.. I've seen some weird things happen over the years, but MOSTLY I've found that anyone claiming kind of mileage is BS'ing.

K&N will not increase your economy... I dont care what anyone says
. The engineering physics says different. It will increase your WOT power.. that's it! It WOULD affect economy a little if your engine had a carburetor.. it doesnt!

I've been thinking a while about that BS and decided to do a project/video on why it doesnt. Soon as the weather gets nice.

13.7 in almost all city in the winter aint bad at all.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Sure DIY cap/rotor is possible. And it might increase mileage a little. AC DELCO only.
Fuel filter wont matter in economy. Where it matters is available fuel at WOT. Nothing to mess with so good idea to change it.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Xenon is on a distinguished road

13-14 city doesn't sound bad to me. And I gotta agree, 18-20 city would be tough even for some economy cars... 20 highway should be no problem though...

Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Did he regear with the sas, that could be a large part of it too.

but ya, 13.7 city is not bad, I'm averageing 11-12 hwy

Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Starting Member
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks guys
But dang
I don't like it, feelin the pinch
-_-

Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 PM
bmwallace_88 is on a distinguished road

i get about 22 on the hwy @ 70 and get about 15 mpg @ 25-45 mph. 01 with recent tune up and 5 spd 4x4

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog

K&N will not increase your economy... I dont care what anyone says
. The engineering physics says different. It will increase your WOT power.. that's it! It WOULD affect economy a little if your engine had a carburetor.. it doesnt!
If we're talking about just the drop in filter, I completely agree. But an actual intake kit has gotten me an extra 1.5 mpg. 10% gain over stock 15mpg. Just my experience is all.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Phil
If we're talking about just the drop in filter, I completely agree. But an actual intake kit has gotten me an extra 1.5 mpg. 10% gain over stock 15mpg. Just my experience is all.
Really? Find someone to explain why. I can explain why not.

Hint 'what is a throttle plate' and 'what does a MAF' do?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Less restriction + less turbulent airflow is the advantage of an aftermarket intake. Paired with exhaust work you get a slight increase in power and fuel economy. I have also witnessed this. I have also witness how intake + winter driving is detrimental to fuel economy, and that's why I run the stock airbox in the winter.

The issue is people who change their driving style so they can hear the new sound...

And OP... if you're doing a tune up, don't chince out, you'll get better results with Delco parts. This has been discussed a lot here. Delco wires and plugs from the dealership. A little more money, but worth it.

Last edited by oktain; 02-07-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
Less restriction + less turbulent airflow is the advantage of an aftermarket intake. Paired with exhaust work you get a slight increase in power and fuel economy. I have also witnessed this. I have also witness how intake + winter driving is detrimental to fuel economy, and that's why I run the stock airbox in the winter.

The issue is people who change their driving style so they can hear the new sound...

And OP... if you're doing a tune up, don't chince out, you'll get better results with Delco parts. This has been discussed a lot here. Delco wires and plugs from the dealership. A little more money, but worth it.
That is my best advice for better MPG. I've done intake, exhaust, lower t-stat, and my rims weigh less than the stockers. It's all gotten me to be capable of 17 mpg city provided I watch my RPMs when accelerating. Under 2500 in 1st gear and under 2k in all other gears. My ex had a 2000 Galant and she got 14 mpg. I noticed her rpms and how she was flooring it from red lights to try and get up to the speed limit as fast as possible.

And x2 on what Oktain said about Delco parts. Worth every extra penny to get quality parts.