Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

how to improve mpgs

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Phil
Theres a discussion thread in the DIY section here on how to make a heat shield. I got on on eBay for $65 shipped with a heat shield. If you want I'll send you a link.
yeah def please send me that link,i couldn't seem to find one w/ a heatshield when i looked

Old 02-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Here you go, I got mine in the mail today. The CAI is actually an Option Racing Intake, so I've heard decent things about it. Design wise, its a knock off of the Spectre brand.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Here's the DIY for a heat shield.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/article-submissions-discussions-47/how-handmade-heat-shield-intake-discussion-thread-11635/

And with that being said, you can also use the part # that 86Blazer4x4 gave and order the heatshield by itself from k&n.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

this is the k&n setup and it'll give you an idea of what the shield would look like, this is the one in mine

Old 02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

I know this has been brought up but I haven't seen any real answers.. does "swiss cheesing" the front of the stock air box improve the mpg at all? I have buddies that swear by it and others that just shake their heads.

If it does help, drilling some holes would be a ton cheaper than even building your own CAI...

Old 02-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DSMayo
I know this has been brought up but I haven't seen any real answers.. does "swiss cheesing" the front of the stock air box improve the mpg at all? I have buddies that swear by it and others that just shake their heads.

If it does help, drilling some holes would be a ton cheaper than even building your own CAI...

its alot different then a cai. in a cai you're changing the complete intake plumbing system. look at those pics then compare them to a stock blazer, these aren't corrugate, which is where you lose airflow, a little here and there helps, not sure about hacking your box apart though, i'd rather do a cai because of the cleaner look, performance, and sound

Old 02-13-2010, 11:20 PM

Go with your friends who shake their heads at swiss cheesing their airbox. Those are the ones to listen to form now on haha. All that does is allow for more hot air to come in. Bad thing. And if you're drilling holes in the top part of the box, now none of that extra air is going through your filter. Bad thing as well.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 AM
panthersfan101 is on a distinguished road

bad bad idea haha! not only hot air, but more particles and suck. that box is designed by chevy to be its best for the vehicle (without replacing it with a CAI of course). im sure hundreds of tests have been run, and it is at its best straight from the factory

Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Quik is on a distinguished road

you can get the Efans from a 4th gen Fbody and install them this will help free up some power as well gas mileage

CAI do help as well

what helped me out the most was Tuning the computer. I noticed you have a 97 which that year PCM isnt supported. If you had a 98 and newer you could have someone with the software reprogram the pcm......NO HyperCrap doesnt work for **** and is a rip off

Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

u could need an new injectors my were so bad i got terrible mpgs

Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM

Know its old, but I got to say, my Hypertech has given me better gas mileage. I'm consistantly in the 16.8-17.4 MPG range now. Just saying.

Quick Reply: how to improve mpgs