Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

how to make a stronger stock transmisson?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Beginning Member
99 Blazer 4 door is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to make a stronger stock transmisson?

Hey i was wondering is there anyway 2 make the stock tranny stronger without doin a rebuild ever sense mine messed up and i got it fixed i still feel like its the weakest link

Old 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: how to make a stronger stock transmisson?

Well, if your screen name descibes you Blazer, then it must be a '99 4dr, but is it 2WD or 4WD?
Exactly what is it that your wanting to do to the tranny? Are you having some problems with the way it works? What is not strong enough about it?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest adding a tranny cooler if you have not done so already. While it will not necessarily improve the strength of your transmission it will keep it cooler and that will aid in the transmissions longevity.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

The way to make your stock tranni stronger is to have it stripped down and built up with better internals. Without tearing it down and just leaving it in the only thing that I can think of to make it stronger is to add a cooler for lower operating temp., and possibly getting a tuner for your vehicle to be able to make transmission adjustments.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:30 PM
SmokeU is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: aris_unlimited

I would suggest adding a tranny cooler if you have not done so already. While it will not necessarily improve the strength of your transmission it will keep it cooler and that will aid in the transmissions longevity.
yeah and then if it doesnt have a tow package allready you can then add one with out the fear of it heating up and gears shreding or what ever happens when you tow something that you shouldnt be

Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i have a B&M shiftplus installed on mine and it is supposed to make the trans shift faster. faster shifting is supposed to reduce slippage which is supposed to reduce heat.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Beginning Member
99 Blazer 4 door is an unknown quantity at this point

[/align]its 4x4 with a towing package and theres nothin really wrong with it maybe im just scared its gunna break again but id like too firm up the shifts and maybe see if there theres a way to lock up the toruqe converter sooner if that would even help and ive looked at chips and programmers and id like to get one but i was wondering if there was another way

Old 12-07-2007, 03:42 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

As for firming up shifts a tuner, or a shift kit will accomplish that. As for the torque convertor locking sooner a tranny cooler will actually make it take longer to lock because it is heat activated.

So strictly speaking the only way to get your torque convertor to lock up sooner is to make it hotter, quicker. And heat is a transmissions enemy.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
shouser is an unknown quantity at this point

what kind of tuners will make the tranny shift firmer?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point

depending on what route you want to go and how much you want to spend id think about a aftermarket torque converter. i have no clue what stall speed you would want and if you would have to get a tune done.

Quick Reply: how to make a stronger stock transmisson?