Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Hypertech Performance Programmer

Old 10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road
Talking Hypertech Performance Programmer

Anybody used a Hypertech programmer on their 4.3? If so what differences in mpg and power did it make??

Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yup a Hypertech III, used it for the performance tune, tire size changes, shift points & firmness etc. use it to read DTC codes too.

Performance & mileage wise a slight improvement, nothing stellar in my experience.
Shift points, firmness etc I had noticable changes.
As for reading DTC's & clearing them it did what was asked of it.
Paying $400 for a new one - I'd never suggest it. Get one used that's had the vehicle it was bought for set back to stock & get it for $200 or less. IMO

Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Which model do you have the 32000?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran

Yeah I think so, whichever model is for a 2002 GM with a 4.3

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Do you have any idea if replacing worn out steering components like my ball joints, idler, and pitman arm will raise my gas mileage. Thats why I was looking at the hypertech because I'm an offroad guy but I drive 50 plus miles a day for school and work. I'm trying to improve anywhere I can.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Do you have any idea if replacing worn out steering components like my ball joints, idler, and pitman arm will raise my gas mileage. Thats why I was looking at the hypertech because I'm an offroad guy but I drive 50 plus miles a day for school and work. I'm trying to improve anywhere I can. .

Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 PM
BF Veteran

Sure replacing worn out componants will help gas mileage. Having the front end aligned with proper parts will help as well as tire wear.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

what kind of mileage do you get now?if your between 15 and 19 it will be hard to get better than that im pretty sure gm said 19mpg on our blazers but i never got over 17 no matter how i drove funny thing is though i added a supercharger got more power and better fuel econ under normal driving but if i use the power the fuel goes quick but anyway my best mpgs was when i had my hypertec programmer msd ign ,cai,and catback exhaust

Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 PM

I get about 13 driving with a lead foot and 15 driving like a granny. I think I may try k&n and run a high flow cat and super 44 flows. I've only has my Jimmy since January so i havint had long to modify it. I did a full tune up when I bought it. The only extra weight I have is my cargo rack and wide tires.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran

One thing I've noticed is it's hard to keep track on how you drive over the course of a tank of gas. Couple times you may 3/4 throttle or heavy half it, others you may mash it given any situation. Over a tank of gas who can really say they've driven it the same way going through 2 or 3 tanks of gas?!
I noticed better sound with the CAI & freeing up the exhaust - though mine may not apply because I have a single in/dual out muffler that is 'see through'. I only have a high flow cat & no pre cat all through custom exhaust.
The sound of having a CAI is great & it does help a bit with power & mileage (debatable).
Weight, lift, tires, accesories like roof lights etc all effect mileage with wind & road/rolling resistance.

Try a K&N or even an ebay 3" CAI, I honestly don't think you'll get any better by going K&N over a 3" $50 ebay one.
Our Y pipe exhaust really limits the UPPER regions of flow & mine is about as free flowing (almost legally) as you can get with enough back pressure for it to run, this side of a true dual exhaust.
You also have the choice of a wait for me tune & a few others that will tune your PCM to your requests, driving habits & one company sends a module you plugs into the OBII port & drive for a week. It'll record your driving habits & you send it to them sometimes with your PCM or they provide one. You're either looking at down time or more money for the PCM they provide after they've programmed it. Maybe find one used & send it along? That way you'll have a back-up one if needed to go back to a stock tune.

WHEW that was a lot... I need a beer - GL gater boy

Damnit, another thing if you're like me & others here you may upgrade to taller tires, having the Hypertech you can adjust the PCM for them. A specific tune from a company means you'll have to get them to reprogram the PCM if/when you decide to change the height of the tires.
You really should have the PCM recallibrated for taller tires for many reasons:
Trans shift points, mileage/odometer, speedometer... it all goes into the PCM & it changes how your vehicle drives & responds.
You also can change gear ratios for the PCM if you change your gearing ratios.

Last edited by Rottidog; 10-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hypertech Performance Programmer