Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Improve differentials

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Beginning Member
DdayK5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Improve differentials

I would like to upgrade from my open carrier differentials, to operate better with my 33 inch tires. Any suggestions?
I have a '85 full size 4x4 with solid axles. Also I'm new to this form idea and read that I should create a link to my signatur box, don't fully understand how to do that.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Improve differentials

Not sure what size axles the fullsize blazers have, but if you have open diffs, you can just get a lunchbox locker. Aussie Lockers, Lockrite lockers, etc will all drop into the open diff.

Thats what I wanna do on mine

Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member

I have a 3.08 for the axle with 33 inch tires, any recommendations on a ratio to turn my tires better?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

depending on your driving habbits, i would change to a 3.73 gear. my dad's 04 silverado has 33 with that gear ratio and has done great with everything we have done with it so far.but, if its your dd, just up the horsepower some and you will be fine.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I would go to 4.10s. I have 33s and 3.73 gears in my K5 and it cruises at 60mph at a relatively low RPM (need a tach to verify, but the motor is quiet at 60MPH).

Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: greenjimmy

but, if its your dd, just up the horsepower some and you will be fine.
If only it were that easy

Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah thats true lol. i think he will be fine b/c of the v8. for our blazers, rear gearing would be a must if we want to run 33.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Beginning Member

Any recommendations for a limited slip carrier. If I go to 4.10 I need a new carrier. I use my K5 for camping and off roading and (two times I got stuck) I was discouraged with rocking the truck to get unstuck, because of the open carrier. I was interested in some lockers, but I was informed that would just bark the tires around turns during normal driving.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is your budget? Do you want them front and rear or only in the back?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member

I was informed what ever I do to the rear I need to do the same up front. Budget is limited just lost 2nd job that offered pocket change. Been shoping on craigs list and ebay.

Quick Reply: Improve differentials