Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

K&N Cold air.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
ryno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K&N Cold air.

So i know a lot of you guys run a k&n cold on your blazer's! Just wondering if in the kits you bought, did it come with a new Mass air flow sensor? Because K&n are oil-based and will gum up your stuck mass air sensor. I had a drop in K&n and i had to take it out because it making my blazr run rough and check engine light was coming on. I would like to get a cold air but only if if comes with a new mass airflow sensor.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: K&N Cold air.

Non of the Instake kits come with Mass air senors.... You should look into AEM or Fram Boost intake systems since they use Dry Flow filters which require no oiling. Try to get a Fram unit because it comes with everything you need to install it and also includes the cleaning solution to clean the filter after a year of use. AEM makes the Fram Boost instake but the Fram unit is cheaper to purchase.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM

So how are all these people running K&N cold airs. lol do they constantly have to change and clean there mafs?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any MAF sensor will get gummed up by an 'over' oiled air filter. Some quick cleaning and you're back at it. This should only happen if you get a new over oiled filter or you over oil the filter when you clean it. I have run K&N filters on many MAF vehicles and they all reacted the same way when there was too much oil on the filter itself. I don't have one on my current DD, but with any of my old vehicles, I would clean the filter, then use my shop vac to dry it. Apply the oil, then again, use my shop vac to suck out any excess oil before reinstalling. These filters do not need tons of oil to clean the air.

If you are worried about the oil, AEM (Fram boost) intakes use a dry gauze filter media so there is no oil that can affect your MAF sensor.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i havent had any problems in the ~3500mi ive had mine

Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I havent had any problems with the K&N drop in filter I have had in my last 2 vehicles. I have put around 10,000 miles on the last car and about 13,000 on the blazer. Now its time for a cleaning of the filter and I am definately going to do what swartlkk said about the shopvac.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 PM

I was right at 10,000mi when the drop in filter made my car run bad and send the chack engine light on.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

yeah its getting a little worse gasmileage right now but I think its cause all the short cold trips, and my tires were at 6 psi less than I thought they were (and with new BFG AT's I am sure that makes a difference). Plus it looks like its time to clean the K&N filter, hopefully I should be able to get that done before my 600 mile roundtrip here this weekend.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
cain45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a K&N FIPK in my Blazer and have never had a problem with the oiling of the MAF sensor. I've used K&N in every car I've ever had and not had a problem.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Thats really wierd because i have never oiled my drop in filter. I pulled it out of the box and put it in and havnt touched it since then. im going to clean it and see how it works.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold air.