Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

K&N Cold air.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 AM
cain45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: K&N Cold air.

I was wondering there....it comes oiled from the factory, but at some point you have to clean it and re-oil it.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM
ryno is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya well i will clean it and probably just end up getting a cold air.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:59 AM
blazinblack is an unknown quantity at this point

a 360degree filter is the best way to go and all filters when you first get them come with oil on them to help stop dirt and debris and when a vehicle is cold it runs richer and low tires are horrible for the tires and gas milage
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
ChevyBoy413 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a K&N filter and im not having n e probs at all...go to advance auto parts and get some MAF cleaner clean the MAF up nice stick it back in u wont have n e prob. at all and dont forget to clean the filter it self...that will be a prob...and K&N makes a special kit for OFFROAD the FIPK kit is not for offroad but street and strip

Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Beginning Member
Calgary ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had heard about about the MAF failing due to a K&N also. However it does seen to be very isolated. I have also have a friend who had a black oily film on his MAF sensor with out running a K&N. The MAF was working with out producing a code. I had to replace my MAF and the dealership blamed the K&N. They said it would not be covered by the warranty, so I called the warranty company to plea my case. They told me that the dealers say that to pass the blame off and went on to say that they have no problems replacing the MAF. They pointed out that they are replacing allot of MAF that are new and the owners use the AC Delco filters.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

With the K&N cold air kit, the engine is sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. However with the stock air box it is sucking in cold air forced into the box from a inlet behind the head light. Other than less restriction are you really taking advantage of the cold air?
Just wondering since I would like to put in a K&N cold air myself.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

with a generic ebay-style CAI, the filter is sucking in hot air. with a CAI from a reputable comapny (K&N, AEM, Volant, AiRaid...) there is a heat shield the cuts off the filter from the rest of the engine bay. thats not to say that ebay ones are worthless though. if you want to make your own heat shield it will certainly work. TripleBlackBlazer made a how-to and he made his own CAI. also the K&N shield conforms to the shape of the hood and has a big rubber-ish seal along the top of the shield that creates a nice seal with that noise-supressor thing on the underside of the hood.

the stock airbox gets its air from the hole in the rad support behind the headlight (circled in yellow) while the K&N has about 1sq ftof the rad support to get its air from. i have been thinking about drilling out some more holes to allow more air.

i can get more pics if anybody wants. it seems to be a good upgrade especially if you have some sort of aftermarket exhaust. headers and a larger y-pipe will help the most but a CAI and catback exhaust will help out

Old 03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
MindzEyeWRX02 is an unknown quantity at this point

How efficient are these CAI (looking at the K&N in particular)?? I mean i know it lets the truck breath better, but the filter is still located inside the engine bay. Does the housing for the filter really help keep the engine heat out even though its in the engine bay??

I have a Injen CAI on my Subaru and the pipe runs out of my engine bay into my front fender/bumper where the cone filter is located. Which seems like the most logical place to get cold air, out of the engine bay and low to the ground.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you seal the filter completely from engine bay heat so that it is drawing in outside air, it will function much the same as the intake on your sueby.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: MindzEyeWRX02

How efficient are these CAI (looking at the K&N in particular)?? I mean i know it lets the truck breath better, but the filter is still located inside the engine bay. Does the housing for the filter really help keep the engine heat out even though its in the engine bay??

I have a Injen CAI on my Subaru and the pipe runs out of my engine bay into my front fender/bumper where the cone filter is located. Which seems like the most logical place to get cold air, out of the engine bay and low to the ground.
I wouldn't try going throughvery deep water with a filter mounted down there.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

get a splash guard

Quick Reply: K&N Cold air.