Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

lookin to play some ass under the hood of my blazer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:44 AM
non blazing 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lookin to play some *** under the hood of my blazer.

I own 2001 4x4 4door blazer LT and would like it to be more like a corvette. Well just a little quick all round. I have though about a throttle body spacer, mass air flow sensor, borla exhaust and my ecu reprogramed for some performance. I could get all of this for around 400 to 500 dollars. Shopping around and the exhaust would only cost how ever much the muffler cost. The mass air flow sensor is about 300 dollors and woud like to know if its worth it. What way would it be best to spend 500 to 600 dollors to get the best improvment in performance. I was thinking about a cam and underdrive pullies too. How would yall spend the money and any info on the products i have list would be a great help. Also thouhg about a e fan too
thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: lookin to play some *** under the hood of my blazer.

Welcome!

While some of those mods (exhaust and reprogram) will show some decent benefits along with a cold air intake, however, a corvette it will not be.

02 Vortech installed a rear mount turbo on his Blazer and is really showing great gains without issue on his stock drivetrain. His webpage can be accessed by CLICKING HERE. That should give you some ideas. If you choose to go this route, you may have some troubles with the fitment due to the transfer case...

Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM

Being like a corvette is just a fantasy. My buddy just did an ls1 swap into his 2000 extreme and its quite nice. I dont have 10000 though. Im just looking for something in the 500 to 600 range to get my blazers a lil quicker

Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 PM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with a CAI and better-flowing exhaust. See if that gets you where you want to be.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM

What do u guys think my hp would be it i put on all this
cold air
underdrive pullies
ecu reprogram
borla exhaust
throttle body spacer
mass air flow sensor
e fans

also what does anyone know about a new cam shaft and roller rocks ???

Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Throttlebody spacer won't do much on these engines. They're torquey down low as it is, a tb spacer will only hurt the top end.

The MAF is an unnecessary expense. This MAF is identical to the one used on the 5.7L V8 and stock MAFs have been used in well over 350HP applications.

By running underdrive pulleys and an e-fan, you may run into charging system problems. This is especially true if you have an aftermarket, amplified stereo system. Underdrive pulleys and e-fans really don't add horsepower anyway. They just free up a few ponies by running things slower in the case of the pulleys and shifting demand from the fan to the alternator in case of the e-fans.

E-fans really only give you control over the fan so if you don't want it on, you don't have to have it on. They aren't more efficient than the stock thermo-clutch fan as you have to convert mechanical power to electrical back to mechanical. Where the stock fan just uses crank power only when the clutch senses high enough temperature to warrant more cooling. When the engine is cold, the stock fan is drawing next to nothing from the crank with a properly functioning clutch.

A CAI when done right will free up the intake path for easier breathing. But care must be taken to isolate the incoming air from the engine bay air which is hot. Hot air being sucked into the engine through a high flow filter will completely defeat the purpose, rendering it no better if not worse than the stock intake. Air as close to ambient temperature as possible is the goal.

These engines are built for torque, not really for power. By swapping out the cam, you can change the characteristics of the motor. To really get the best increase out of a cam swap, you really should do some port work on the heads. They aren't as free-flowing as they could be for higher RPM power potential. I believe that timetoblaze has a set of vortec heads for sale that have been ported and completely rebuilt. Combined with a new cam and a custom ECU reprogram, you'll have a very good increase in power (no way to tell actual numbers).

Roller rockers are a good way to free up the valvetrain and if you go with a higher lift cam, it would be a good idea to upgrade the rockers. As far as the lifters go, these motors already have roller hydraulic lifters.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go with roller rockers its quite possible you will need new valve covers to accomidate the extra width and height that roller rockers have, unless you get stamped roller rockers then youll be fine..

Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Kyle,
Good sensible advice! I get so tired of seeingguys buy a Blazer thinking they just got some kind of potential ricer instead of realizing they bought a truck.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I can't say that I didn't want more oomph under the hood of my Bravada when I had it, but then again, I already had a 350 waiting in the winds... But I decided it was better to restore the Chevelle than to hop up the DD.

However, I see no problem in making something built for one purpose into something else. People do it everyday.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 PM

rriddle3 what wrong with want more power out of anything you drive. I am a guy. It wasnt my decision to buy the blazer and i have to make the best out of the sitiuation. Im not trying to make a 600hp drag car. My buddy just put and ls1 in his and so far has had it upwards of 140+ and i can beat its far share of cars around town. Also one of the fastest vehicle in my town is a 2002 durrmax dulley that pullies a dozer during the week and drags on the weekend. I dont think chevy build it for going fast either. My first vehicle was an 89 k5 blazer with a 9' lift on 39.5 boggers. It have a bored over 350 with corvtte heads and edelbrock carb that had to much *** to keep those huge wheels planted. I dont care what i own in life im going to my it quicker faster stronger. I not the type of person who wants to buy something already quick i want to make it quick and surprize everyone. Not to many guys i know are content with a stock vehicle no matter what.

Quick Reply: lookin to play some ass under the hood of my blazer.