Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Modifications for better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:41 AM
dantheman9454 is on a distinguished road
Default Modifications for better mpg

I have a 2001 blazer with the 4.3l it's getting bout 10-13 mpg i have to drive 60 miles back and forth to work and this ads up quick at the pump. I dont want to have to go buy a gas saving car because i like having a 4x4 vehicle so does anyone know of any cheap and easy mods to help increase it to get closer to 20 mpg?

Old 11-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Give it a solid tune up, make sure your tires are properly inflated, don't add any accessories that will diminish aerodynamics and most of all over everything change your driving style. Accelerate slowly and keep it below 60mph. I've seen people claim 20mpg but never seen it myself.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Give it a solid tune up, make sure your tires are properly inflated, don't add any accessories that will diminish aerodynamics and most of all over everything change your driving style. Accelerate slowly and keep it below 60mph. I've seen people claim 20mpg but never seen it myself.
I about a year ago did a full tune up and dont haveanything on the outside of it that isnt stock. As far as driving goes i do accelerate slow but most of my driving is to and feom work on i85 and everyone flies through there so under 60 isnt really possible just because i dont want to get hit. Also i think my brake booster is going bad being it stalls or almost stalls everytime i hit the breaks. And the retarted vacuum lines for the 4x4 are all broke but are all plugged i dont know if that would have anything to do with it? Currently im only getting bout 13mpg and would like to get about 20.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Hate to say it but if your doing 80 your not going to do much better than what your doing now. These things just aren't made for high mpgs.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Are there anyone doing tunes to increase mpg/driveability

Old 11-11-2016, 01:07 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
+1 Best advice there!! Might add to check to make sure calipers are not sticking.

I can get 20+ but only on a straight level road at constant 60mph with no A/C - very rare to go very far this way but I have done 80 miles at 22 mpg and filled up just to test MPG. Average driving I get 14.5 - 15.5 mpg for 50:50 city/country roads with no traffic to speak of, just some stopsigns and stoplights - max 45-50 mph. If I do a round trip to Chicago O'Hare (about 240 miles RT) on the Interstate at 70 mph, I expect to see maybe 18.5 max if no A/C on and make it back without filling up. I check true mileage at each fillup with fuel.

Drive with instant MPG displayed on Android Phone scanner like Dash Command or Torque Pro - it will definitely teach you how to drive. I try to keep TCC locked up whenever possible (hit the magic 47 mph and keep the foot out of it). A/C will lower 1-2 MPG. TCC engaged will raise a couple MPG. It will cost you a lot to keep up with all the speedy people who drive 70-80mph. Pushing a box through the air at 80mph takes a lot of power, as does changing the speed of a heavy vehicle.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-11-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:40 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Is you SES light on? You could be constantly driving in open loop which will run very rich, especially under load, if your system detects a fault with any of the O2 sensors and switches the system to always run in open loop. This is probably the most common reason people mpg drop (assuming they've done a good tune up, etc).

Old 11-11-2016, 02:56 PM

I have had non stop problems from the o2 sensors and emissions as of right now check engine light is off

Old 11-11-2016, 04:09 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I got 15 mpg. Installed headers, CIA (for what its worth) new o2 sensors, Accel 48,000 volt coil ( stock is 40,000) 8.5mm wires and had the computer tuned. Now i get 17mpg.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:40 PM
jdneal79 is on a distinguished road

you can do the throttle body mod. it helps with throttle response and some say helps with mpg.

Quick Reply: Modifications for better mpg