Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Second Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member
Project_95_Blazer is on a distinguished road

one thing that alot of people overlook is more air into the engine means more air needs to exit. increase the flow into the engine, you need to increase the flow out of the engine. basically putting a CAI on a stock exhaust barely does anything at all. put a more flow easy exhaust on and a cai on youll notice a much bigger difference. as for two inlet pipes i would only imagine youd need to increase flow out of the engine even more? possibly remove cat altogether?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
there was some member that had that 3-cone air intake tube set-up last year (red truck, not sure who he was, we were all bashing him for the same reasons mentioned above).

so you won't be the first to try this. why not do a search (for wierd *** CAI?) see if you can't find his stuff (if you really want to do it still).

First thing that came to my mind! He put some hard work into that, but mostly all for nothing.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Project_95_Blazer
one thing that alot of people overlook is more air into the engine means more air needs to exit. increase the flow into the engine, you need to increase the flow out of the engine. basically putting a CAI on a stock exhaust barely does anything at all. put a more flow easy exhaust on and a cai on youll notice a much bigger difference. as for two inlet pipes i would only imagine youd need to increase flow out of the engine even more? possibly remove cat altogether?

more in = more out. thata's part of the equation that 99.9% of people never factor in.

as for that last part.................. that's a biiiiiiiig no-no. in any Province or State.

Originally Posted by RangerG

First thing that came to my mind! He put some hard work into that, but mostly all for nothing.

yes he did. it really was quite the job, very well done.

i wish i could remember who that guy was, 'cause i'd luv to know if he actually had it verified for performance gains.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i wish i could remember who that guy was, 'cause i'd luv to know if he actually had it verified for performance gains.
His "verified performance gains" included killing 305 Blazers and 350 trucks (but they're heavier). I believe he switched back to the MAF setup or at least was trying to.

Basically, it comes down to this... You are still flowing air through the throttle body. No matter how many pipes you have, the restriction is going to be the throttle body. This is true for the factory setup as well as any aftermarket systems worth anything. The MAF sensor can outflow the throttle body.

The most important thing to do with an intake setup is to provide it with fresh, cool air. Adding filter area will always be a plus. And the more you cut down on disruptions in the pipe, the better off you will be.

Another thing to consider is that pipe fittings such as 'T's have friction losses associated with them that exceeds the friction loss of a pipe of equal diameter and length. THIS PAGE shows what I am talking about. Obviously air and water have different friction losses, but I am just using that page to illustrate the point. You want the piping to be only as long as needed with sweeping curves.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ is that any surprise Kyle?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, not really. Edited in more information to try to sway the op into not doing it!!

I'll have to look in some of my reference materials at work tomorrow for air friction losses through typical T's and 45*/90* elbows.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 PM
BF Guru

do you really think it's needed?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road

we are actually in the process of doing this on the cadillac CTS, the cts with the 3.2 has 2 pipes coming out of the manifold.(the 3.6 has one and i think that is actually a finished design now and in use), so first thought was to run 2 MAF one on each side but we didnt know if that would mess with the computer.
one guy tried 2 stand alone intakes , one out of each but only put the MAF on one side and none on the other, it caused the car to stall out because it thought it was getting one amount of air but it was getting double.
next design is being made now, its 1 MAF right infront of the manifold...2 pipes into one then back out to 2 pipes and 1 filter each. the goal is to have them run under the rad and back up...there is enough room for the piping to fit under there.

here is the thread on the design concept
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...3-2l-guys.html

Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I think at one point "1baddblazer" had 5 he said. It was that 2wd lifted one with the SS front bumper.