Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

straight pipes??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: straight pipes??

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

Myself and quite a few others have a Flowmaster muffler on their Blazer and like the sound. You can listen to sound clips that have been posted here for various exhaust set-ups and the subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but in the end it boils down to "you pay your money and you take your choice".

Plus, every vehicle is gonna sound a little different...

What sounds a certain way on one 4 door Blazer is gonna sound a little different on another... Even if all the piping is done up the same.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have yet to buy my muffler, because I still want to upgrade my tail pipe from 2.25 to 2.50, just like the rest of the pipes on my truck. I gotta go to my mechanic tomorrow and see if he can order a tail pipe for my truck. I was looking into Super 44's but nobody seems to use them on their Blazers. It's more of a car exhaust. I'll probably get the Super 40. If you take out the cat, you probably won't pass inspection due to the emissions coming out of the exhaust. Instead of removing to cat, check out some Magnaflow hi-flow cats. I'm thinking of putting one on my truck. Of course, I'd love to run straight pipes, and upgrade to 3" piping.
I've spent the most time on upgrading my exhaust, because I wanna get it right.
Check out the size of your pipes, tail pipes, and how your factory muffler is.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
sdm1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

with "agressive tone" you you mean a deep rumble, or a loud rasp like musclecars? a fiberglass packed muffler will give you a deep, throaty tone, like a Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow. achamberedmufflerwill give you a raspy, musclecar sound, like a Flowmaster or Hooker Aerochamber. There are MANY ways to achieve a desired sound. Firstly, decide on what kind of sound you're looking for and if you need to pass emissions. Then, decide on headers. Shorties, mids, or LTs all have their advantages. Shorties will fit in factory applications, but lack great performance and are more oriented for high-revving applications. LTs are the ultimate in performance, but require a custom fit exhaust or complete kit. These will significantly help in low-end TQ, especially when matched with an X-pipe. Also, they help with overall deep resonation. If you're looking to pass emmissions, make sure to find headers with emissions piping. High-flow converters also will be a must for legal useage, and will not affect performance. The larger the diamater, the deeper the exhaust note, but onour 4.3L i don't recommend going any higher than 2.5in piping, unless you're running some SERIOUS consistant horsepower (like 400+). Dual exhaust is great for performance and sound, and you'll have no trouble with fitment issues. This route also gives you more muffler options. You can run dual mufflers, or the new Dynomax Ultraflo X muffler as your X-pipe, or you can run straight, chambered piping like the old '69 musclecars, or cheap little cherry bombs (which sounds like an exhaust leak IMHO). After the entire piping is decided, then a tip/tips must be chosen. The larger diameter the tip, the deeper the tone, and you can go as big as you want. Just don't gotoo big, because that'll just look wierd...

Go on all the manufacturer's websites to browse their exhaust notes. There is no ONE BEST muffler. It's all about just deciding what sound you want (unless you're choosing for a high HP race-application, then there IS such thing as a best, least restrictivemuffler...) Good luck and let us know what you've chosen!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Also, from what I hear, the y pipe is apparently really restrictive...

Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: drperry

Also, from what I hear, the y pipe is apparently really restrictive...
correct, the factory y-pipe will be very restrictive with headers and original converter. however, if you choose to maintain a single-exhaust system, a larger diameter, mandrel-bent y-pipe will not cause any issues. but yea, i don't recommend keeping the factory y-pipe with exhaust work. (of course, this is coming from a guy who spent$1600 on just an exhaust system lol)

Old 01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
BF Veteran

I should get a custom y-pipe made... might make my DNA muffler sound beefier with more air flying through it, lol.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

thanks for all this info! i'm looking for an exhaust system that is going to cost me less than $250 so i was just figuring going from the cat back and getting some stock pipe from napa or something and a muffler and a tip but i would like the most and best sound i can get for under 250.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure my complete Dynomax kit from the Cat back was only $170

Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: 94blueknight

thanks for all this info! i'm looking for an exhaust system that is going to cost me less than $250 so i was just figuring going from the cat back and getting some stock pipe from napa or something and a muffler and a tip but i would like the most and best sound i can get for under 250.
oh alright. headers and all that are mostly for performance anyway. if you're just looking for a beefy sound, a catback would work well. what kind of sound are you looking for? loud and raspy or deep and throaty? you can get both with a full exhaust, but that'll run you a pretty penny lol. we here can help direct you toward a nice muffler setup depending on what sound you're looking for.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ok ya i'm not exactly sure how to explain the sound that i want lol heres a vid on youtube of the sound i'm lookin for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KvqR...eature=related

in the vid he has the flowmaster super 44 muffler on but is there something better/cheaper to get me a similar sound?

Quick Reply: straight pipes??