Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
blazerbeam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?

which would be cheaper and which would be faster?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?

no offense but if you have to ask "which is cheaper" i would recommend not doing either. like the old saying goes speed costs money how fast do you wanna go? that should cover your question. if i had to pick id go with the 5.7. after you supercharge the 4.3 what else can you do down the road? youre maxed out. to get the most out of the supercharger and make it more dependable youre going to have to address aur/fuel ratio. how are you going to give the 4.3 more gas it needs to compensate for the boost? how much boost can stock internals handle (i dont mean for a few runs but how much can it handle all day everyday before you shoot pistons out of the hood?) might have to go with forged rods/pistons. not to mention if i was gonna spend the money id get a cam that will work with the supercharger better and may as well get the heads to flow better while youre at it. at this point why not go forged internals so you could really crank up the boost at this point the engine is gonna be tore down anyway. at that point i doubt youre stock tranny/rear end will handle that much power on a constant basis. time to upgrade them too. now you gotta worry about traction. what are you gonna do to hook the power to the ground. it dont matter how much HP you have if it cant hook. the point im trying to make is the list is never ending. and with all that money that you would spend in the 4.3 why not start with a 5.7? kinda like the whole import thing. you take a 2 liter motor (hell i have a 2 liter of mt dew in my fridge that is the same displacement) and spend the money to get the best engine parts/bolt ons around what do you have for the end result? to me a waste of time and money. you also have to consider that you want the truck to be dependable and be able to handle the power. when you talk about cheap you cut corners and eventually break stuff. then you gotta spend more money to put it back togeather. just do it right the first time and you wont have to worry and youll save money in the long run.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Starting Member

heres a perfect example

http://members.tripod.com/juan_espero/engine.html

Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Beginning Member
2001BlazrLS is an unknown quantity at this point

i apologize for being off topic but..blazerbeam..WHAT KIND OF GRILL IS THAT ON YOUR CAR? lol

Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Starting Member
mojoman13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont really agree with the 2.0L being a waste of time and money.
a 180sx comes stock with 205 hp and all you need is a computer tune and you've got 225 WHP and it costs you what $500 bucks? that 180 will prob burn my blazer with my 325hp 350 in it. ive put $15 000 into my truck so far and i looked at a 180sx in mint condition with 225 WHP for $13 000
i have a tremendous amount of respect for japanese cars in that they are so efficient.
the fact that you can get huge amounts of power out of a 2.0L engine and still have some fuel economy is amazing.
my truck will get about 10MPG, that 180 gets 20MPG, both in the city.
now dont get me wrong i still live by the saying "theres no replacement for displacement" but i have a lot of respect for these japanese cars.

the thing with the honda engine tho is that those engines start out very weak so i dont believe thats a fair comparison.
it would have been more fair if the other car wasa chevy aveo.
but you do that same comparison with the 455 v8 buick engine and a v6 2.5L RB25DET (Nissan Skyline GTR engine stock 260HP Twin Turbo) and i guarantee you will see different results.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Starting Member

its not all about HP. you have to figure in torque too thats what gets you going. the point of that article is that buick parts are expensive (i bet at least 2 times the cost of sbc parts) and the fact that you spend $3000 tops (with stock heads) and youre over 500 hp at the wheels (imagine if you put $3000 wisely in a SBC). it didnt mention torque but im sure its up there as well (my judge has a 428 that was rated at 390 hp and 473 ft/lbs of torque stock to try to give you a comparison). if you want to compare boosted engines stock look at the 09 CTSV (550+ hp) would put the Skyline to shame. i dont respect the import cars because anyone can boost anything and get decent numbers out of it. boost is the only way imports will get decent numbers.every car i have owned up to this blazer has been a rear wheel drive V8. my first car was a 89 GTA, my 69 GTO Judge, i also have a 86 C10. now the blazer (boooo v6). i choose to drive the right wheel drive V8 because of the speed (accept the C10 it has a 327 waiting to get put in then it will be snappy) not a wrong wheel drive weed eater on steriods. id like to expierence the handling of some imports. the EVO VIII was the only car at the time (maybe still is) that could pull 1.xx G on a skid pad stock. the only thing i can compare is the GTA has a WS6 suspension stock and that handled good. look at a Syclone that was the fastest truck (1/4 mile) EVER produced (think dodge ram R/T 10 and lightning). why? because it was AWD it would holeshot like none other. the point of that is it dont matter how much HP or torque you have if you cant get it to hook.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Starting Member

your finishing line didnt really connect to the rest of your response.
but other than that i dont really understand why you dislike boost.
its just a way of getting the max power out of an engine.
and how you said the CTSV would burn the skyline? yes it would burn a easlier series but the new 09 GTR would put that cadi to shame. All skyline GTRs of all years come stock AWD and i've driven a couple and they handle like a dream.
Now im really not trying to cut down your cars, i love GTA's infact i have a 2 foot poster on the wall in my room but im just sick of the battling between domestic and import cars. We both have the need for speed and thats all that matters. So instead of battling we should share in eachothers intrests.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Starting Member

the point about my finishing line is that since the EVO VIII is AWD and it can hook and launch great thats another reason why it has impressive numbers. along with the syclones/typhoons. it dont matter how much HP you have if you cant get it to hook. i dont see the point in going with a import if you take any import stock vs any V8 and there is so much more potential with the V8. if i can build 400-500 hp car all motor what happens when i boost or spray it ? you have to get a lot of boost out of a import to get the same amount of HP and then what? you can only boost so much. another point of my link above was the cost to get to the 500 hp mark. most of us cant spend $10,000-20,000 on engine work alone (not to mention tranny,rear end,.......) you talk about your skyline but how much will that cost to import one to the US? im sure you can build a car for a lot cheaper that will tear a skyline a new one with money left over. like i said most people are on a budget and it will be by far cheaper to build a V8 then a import.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Starting Member

but i think your mistaken that they syclone is the fastest ever. the srts quarter is 13.5 and the syclone is real close at a 13.6 or so. i looked at a couple sites and those were the average times
but like i said it doesnt cost you $10 000 to get a import to 500HP.
i dont think you understand that the honda engines are extremely weak since they are not made for boost and are the bottom of the barrel for imports.
you take a GTR and put $5000 into it and you will have 500HP.
and i love how you talk about wanting more than 500HP
y would you want any more than 500HP unless it is strictly a race vehicle.
and another thing, a 500HP skyline can easily be a daily driver.
the car feels completely stock until you floor it and the turbos kick in.
i personally wouldnt want a 500HP V8 for a daily driver, i would definately as a toy but its too high strung to be stuck in traffic with.
oh and its funny, if you did some research or had a an idea what your talking about you would know that the 2009 skyline GTR is for sale in Canada and the US with a price tag of $75000.
so ya if i took say a 67 nova and put $20 000 into the engine it would burn the GTR in the quarter mile.
so it depends on what you want man.
do you want a daily driver or a toy to run around town or do you want a race car? i feel cars like the GTR can do all three as that 700HP 67 nova cant.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Starting Member

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...yline&meta=

Quick Reply: supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?