Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
mojoman13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?

yacongratulations domestics run faster superstock times
i agreed now i hope u can sleep better at night,
but a import needs less power to go fast
on average they are much lighter than a v8 car and so much less power is needed.
like a 1967 camaro ss 350 was rated at like 275hp (correct me if im wrong) and they run 15.4
(http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html)
1992 180sx runs sr20det was rated at 205 hp and it runs 14.8
its all about hp/weight ratio right
but im tired of arguing with you.
so we'll agree to disagree.

but anyways i havent seen you before, so are you putting a LT1 in your blazer or what?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point

another thing you want to look at is the tires used. back in the 60's you could only run a 6" wide tire (nhra rule). period. and if you take todays tire and put it on a stock muscle car you will pick up close to 1 sec. if you want to compare muscle cars then actually pick a muscle car not a pony car there is a diffrence. im not saying that you cant get decent numbers out of a import im saying that you have more potential with the V8. with enough money you can make anything fast. its just a question of consistancy/dependability/price. so many people want to have the best and spend nothing to get it. thats not going to work (if it does it wont for long) i have a friend at work that has a spyder eclipse and he bought a boost controller and a few other smaller things (non performance) and with a stock fuel system and engine internals hes going to crank up the boost to 16#. it might run a lot faster then it does now but how long do you think that will last before he blows it up? then hes gonna have to spend the money to fix what he broke when he cut corners. how is this going to be cheap or dependable ? id also argue street manners with a import vs a domestic. imports are just as bad as domestics.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Starting Member

ya well i can agree with most of that.
the thing most people do with their boost controllers is just turn them up when they are going to the track
if you leave it cranked it will for sure lower the length of that engine by quite a bit
prob by about half i would say
that car will last 100k at max boost instead of 200k (obviously just a guess but prob somewhere around there)
and whats the street manners?
you mean like how well a big v8 does as a daily driver?

and u never answered if your putting a lt1 in your truck or not

Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
blazerbeam is an unknown quantity at this point

haha nice arguement guys... as for my truck

its being parked next year... its going to be a cruise truck for sunny alberta
i've seen what superchargers can do to my truck. its an suv, it doesn't need to be going THAT fast. a setup for a 6psi wynjammer supercharger w/ tune would cost me about 3000. with a shift kit, 4l60e should be able to take that. the blazerbeam is going in for an engine rebuild in a couple weeks, forged pistons, cam, shift kit and headers. i'm not worried about it being as dependable as it is now because its not going to be my primary vehicle. also, i've seen this supercharger set up slay a 350 swap

Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Starting Member

hey stop dissin my 350 swap :P
but ya man you can get decent power out of that 4.3
how much have u got into the engine rebuld money wise

oh and P.S. Calgary sucks Edmontons way better :P

Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point

that paint job is close to what i want to paint my judge. i love that color. i want my GTO to have a little bit more of a yellow tint to it. the street manners thing i was reffering to is with a V8 vs a import (boosted) you will have diffrent issues to deal with for each one. i dont knwo what MPG a import with some mods and higher boost will get Vs a V8 but im sure when you get closer to 15-20# of boost you need quite a bit of fuel to compensate for the air/fuel ratio. i wouldnt mind expierenceing a boosted vehicle. i have a 327 thats going into my C10, my gto has a 428, my first car was a GTA ive always had a V8 with the exception of the blazer. i wouldnt mind finding a syclone/typhoon engine and driveline and putting in the blazer if its possiable. would the vortec heads flow better then the stock sy/ty heads ? are they compatiable?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
blazerbeam is an unknown quantity at this point

i actually live south of calgary... moving to lethbridge soon. cruising there is everybody's favorite activity.

ya no fence on the 350 swap but his little s10 with 220 000km on original motor and tranny and its still ripping **** up. superchargers been on for 3 years now i believe

Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Starting Member

wownice
ya id love to super charge mine too
be pretty bad ***
but ive got enough money into it as is
soo ya prob not gonna happen lol
but thats sweet put a charger on yours
lots of stuff on supers and turbos
do it up

Old 09-06-2008, 03:27 PM
05Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

My eyes hurt hahah

Old 09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Moar powar is goooood!
However, the imports have WAY better gas mileage in high HP areas
Usually.

Other than the HO Quad 4, there hasn't really been any impressive N/A 4 bangers from North America... These days it's not much, but back in the late 80s/early 90s when it was made...
That being said, like it's been said, it all depends on what you want to do...

Heck, for my play toy car, I want an '85 Toyota Corolla with a TRD engine.... 240 HP 173ft/lbs of torque... Redline of 11k RPM In a car that weighs maybe 2000lbs...

Quick Reply: supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?