Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

tbi vs carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM
lil_blazin is on a distinguished road
Question tbi vs carb

I have a nice edelbrock aluminum intake but I'm running tbi. I have been told that i can make more power with a carb but I have also been told the tbi is more reliable? What is youre oppinion?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Depending on what you use your ride for both answers are right.

You can make more power with a carb, however, if you offroad and get your truck on some serious angles, TBI will be your friend.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Both are reliable. The TBI can be more efficient for varying conditions while a carb may need tuning if you drastically change your elevation. It used to be that most people knew how to tune a carb better and easier than tuning TBI. With the tools available now, it is every bit as easy to tune a TBI motor for the same power as a carb'd motor.

As said, a TBI motor will be better with angles than a carb. You also will not have problems with hard accelleration on a TBI motor.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Well..on that note I will probably just sell the aluminum intake and pocket the cash...As i said it was free so it isnt like im losing money.. I am going to look in a top end kit from edelbrock then to squeeze a little power out of my motor.

Thanks for the input

Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is the model # on the intake? You can always buy an adapter for the manifold.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM

I will take the intake to my local lordco and see if they can find me one. If i cant order it though them or through a shop in canada i most likely wont do it. This is because when i have to order alot of my parts from the U.S. i pay exchange and shipping and tax it is no longer worth it to do.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Well...i will look at the intake to check but that is interesting is there a company out there that makes an adapter? I am pretty handy with machining metal would i be able to make the adapter myself? I could do it at school or at my dads shop.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Im just gonna sell it and put a top end kit on the 350ci lolz rather then mucking around with adapters.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lil_blazin
Well...i will look at the intake to check but that is interesting is there a company out there that makes an adapter? I am pretty handy with machining metal would i be able to make the adapter myself? I could do it at school or at my dads shop.
There quite a few adapters available for mounting TBI's onto a carb'd intake and they are quite easy to make. What I have done in the past is to take the appropriate gaskets for either end and then mark out the bolt pattern and profiles onto a chunk of aluminum, then widdled them out. It is quite easy and those newer manifolds do make a difference in the power band.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Lew87 is on a distinguished road

is there an adapter to go from tbi to carb? or do i have to go through an entire head and intake swap?