Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Horse Power Research

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Horse Power Research

So, I am waiting for the bank to hop on the 98 but in the meanwhile I have googled and googled

Horsepower for the 4.3 Vortec

K&N CAI 7hp
Cam swap 42hp ( http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...ade/index.html )

Exhaust**
I can not find the *Best*
Would it be beneficial to go with headers, throw a cutout behind it and then straight pipes out the back?

Now, I looked into the supercharger/turbo/nitrous
and its not worth it IMO on the stock engine unless you rebuild it...

I cant find too many kits to rebuild the 4.3 as well as I cant find any sort of *dress up* kits/ chrome kits....

So roughly if you swap exhuast/intake/cam you can make about 75hp over stock.... torque I have no idea though

Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

As always, reliable, meaningful, dynamometer verifiable HP increases = $$$$.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I deffintally wanted to do a cam and headers on my truck too, but ran out of money and dident have the chance to but i really wish i did. I did an exhaust 2.5" with a
Flowmaster 40 out the back with a crappy cold air intake, but in the process of getting a better one like a K&N the exhaust and intake made a huge difference, couldent imageing a turbo or a supercharger. We had a 2.5" super 40 on my buddies 4.0 explorer took it off and put on true duals 2.25" pipeing and it was a big difference he was able to light the tires up easier like and night and day and chirp second gear along with it got a hell of a lot louder. Im intrested in seeing what you giong to do

Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

This is just research.. as my blazer purchase is still in limbo.. .and would probably be completed over a few years as I am a college student
Plans:
Brush guard
Safari Rack
Fog, driving, and lights (thinking 8 total, 6 up front with 2 on the brush guard and 4 on the safari rack and then two out back)
rebuild the engine and throw a decent cam in it and redo the valves
CAI
Headers to straight pipes and cutouts
suspension lift... undecided on the height
33" play tires and 30" street tires
All around stereo upgrade with one, maybe two subs
Neon lighting all around and under the body
..... 15 grand or so later... I could have bought a new car... but cash for clunkers is a bad idea lol