Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

What about the breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM
johnwiseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about the breaks?

swaping in 9" front and rear axels soon. I am going with larger disk breaks front and back. I was thinking about throughing away all the abs stuff and swaping in one of the break boosters off the old chevys that ran off the power steering pump. What do yall thing about that idea? Good, Bad, Increadably stupid?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What about the breaks?

Should be fairly easy to do. Is there a reason that a vacuum booster will not perform properly with the setup you intend on installing? Will you be running something with low engine vacuum?

You will have to get some good lines made up to power the hydroboost unit. I have seen it happen way too many times where people have blown these lines and it is not pretty!

You will definitely have to remove the ABS stuff unless you find some way to put in front wheel speed sensors...

I grabbed a hyrdoboost unit off of a 96 Astro van to put on my Chevelle. I am a long way from actually putting that together though. I will be going to a remote reservoir on the Chevelle as well which makes things a little cleaner and easier to maintain. I may just use the hydroboost unit on my K5 Blazer though... I don't know.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Is that the same system the huge blazers use with 4 wheel steering? They call it hyrdo-assist for the rear steering, and just hydro steering overall?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 PM
johnwiseman is an unknown quantity at this point

The real reason is that it is quite a bit smaller then the vacume booster and My home made snorkle will be wanting to go in that direction. anything getting smaller or removed from that side helps ya know. by the time i remove that enourmus abs box and all the auxilury hose and the vacume booster I think I will be in very good shape. Come to think of it the air box will go on that side as well. could leave a great big hole for anouther battery and maybe enough room to squweeze anouther alternator on to the motor. or a centrafugal supercharger. mmmmmm... supercharger.