General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Squeeking loud breaks

Old 03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
jadewolf32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Squeeking loud breaks

OK it's me again.......... It seems everytime I put ANY pressure on the break pedal you can hear me stopping for miles, had my tires rotated so that gave me the chance to look at my break pads, they look good, plenty of pad on all four, the only thing I did notice that wasn't there when I got the tires is a nice size groove on the rotor, asked the dude that was doing my rotation if that could be an issue he said no that it may have been a rock that got caught up between pad and rotor not to worry.. OK so I came home let it get cold and rinsed the rotors ( yes i know NOT to put water on hot rotors because it can warp them) thinking maybe it was break dust or something. But I still have that loud annoying squeek, what else can I do? I hate having people stare at me thinking "ok lady time for new breaks" and I even had one guy tell me at a light, I know females don't have a clue about what could be going on so take my number honey you need breaks. I wanted to SLAP him [:@]

Old 03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Squeeking loud breaks

I have a true problem with the rock theory. Those rotors are pretty tough. If rocks gave them a problem, we would all have problems.

There is something wrong and it needs to come apart to find it. There may have been a problem with the pad to begin with. A manufacturing defect is possible. Something as sill as a bolt head or something being caught in there is possible. Only solution I see is to replace it all.

What part of the country are you in? I have had squaling brake problems more often in part of the country that are dry and hot, rather than cold and wet.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I would add this. Did your problem start at first when going around a turn???? Is it now also happening when stopping straight??? If that is the case, and the pads are still good, the wear indicaters on the pads may be bent too far towards the rotor and may even be the object making the mark.

If you had your brakes done in a certain particular place, and you being a woman I would NEVER visit that place again. It is certainly possible to bend these wear indicators closer to or further away from the rotors. A shaky shop wanting to gain more work might do this to unsupecting customers.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:47 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Do what blazingsadle said. Get some brake parts cleaner to cleaner. Appply that sh*t liberally. to the pads and rotor. Do bothe sides of the rotor if you can do this yourself. Good luck!

I have remove the brakes after every winter and use a wire brush to get the crud out of the caliper bracket/brake pad bracket. I do this to both of my vehicles. As a matter of fact I did the Blazer last night. [color=red]clicky click for pic!

Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to take your brakes off to see what the problem is. Grooves are not normal, it would have to be a very small rock to get stuck between the pad and rotor. Like the size of a pebble. Needless to say, its not a common thing on disc brakes.

The wear indicator. If your close enough to rub even a bent wear indicator, your close enough to need new brakes.

Unless your going to service the brakes by yourself, I can walk you through it if you want. Take the truck to a shop you trust. I work part time in a service center, and we could care less if your a women or a man. Some men are just as ignorant as women when it comes to vehicles. Not saying that is a bad thing, just a fact of life.

Ask some of oyur friends who they recommend. Talk to the owner, tell him your concerns and see if he is willing to show you and help you understand what the problem is? A good shop will explain things to the owner. I do it all the time. He Mister, you need new brakes! Really? Yep, here I'll show you. Oh, OK How much is that going to cost? Let me get you an estimate.

You can post up the estimate, problem and we can help you understand it.
You can go to autozones website and price the parts.
Front pads on S10-Blazers rough guess $35-40.
Rotors- $50 each. Looking at about $150 in parts, plus about 1hr labor. We charge $60 an hour for brakes. Total bill about $210 for the fronts.