Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

LED Rock Lights With Keyless Entry, Second Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default LED Rock Lights With Keyless Entry, Second Opinion?

First off, i have a 1995 4 door blazer 4x4. it has the factory keyless entry. i also have the factory gm service manual with all the wiring diagrams in it for my blazer. i would like a second set of eyes to look over this

I dont know about newer blazers, but my headlights or parking lights have never flashed when i used my keyless entry. one of the things i hate the most about this car. this makes the keyless entry practically useless because you have to be nearly 5 feet away to hear the doors unlock.

So i just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on this before i went ahead and did this mod. No where on this site did i see any threads on this. many jeep owners have done it. i would like to installl some LED Eagle eye rock lights to come on with the dome light when i activate the keyless entry. but i do not want them to come on when i turn on my dome light. after doing some research on a few forums, i think i came up with a setup. i have ordered the rock lights but have not bought anything else yet.

Here is what i came up with:

The rock lights would be run in parallel like they are in the drawing. I believe this setup, by using a 5 pin relay, would allow me to switch the rock lights on and off using a rocker switch but when the keyless entry module sends the illuminated entry signal out, would energize the relay and the lights would come on. i would of course add a fuse to the side of the relay that has the coil so i don't burn up the relay.

the only catch with this setup, being on the ground side of the circuit, that is a lot of wiring that i would be running that is hot all the time. Do you guys think that would be an issue? if you have any ideas on how i could improve it, don't hesitate to tell me.

here is the factory wiring diagrams that i used to come up with it. the first picture, where i'm pointing to is where i would tie the relay into the circuit.

Thanks for looking!

Old 01-30-2018, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

When I was looking for ways to create a switched aux-pwr outlet on my 99 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...outlets-96201/), I found at least one circuit that was hot at all times and only active when a switch to ground was closed. (I can't remember what it was though.) It made it impossible for me to use that circuit for my purposes but I could not think of any reason why in principle why such a circuit could not work.

What I did end up doing that you might find useful was to tap directly into the Body Relay Block to a switched signal that I did use to turn on the relay that switched the power to my aux-power outlet. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...-access-96173/)

BTW, I couldn't quite make out all of your notes on your circuit diagram. Could you repost it with greater resolution?

Old 01-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Starting Member

Here is a larger picture of my drawing of my circuit. I bought the switch, relay and i got the rock lights. All that is left is a diode and a fuse.

Last edited by 95teal4x4; 02-04-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 95teal4x4
Here is a larger picture of my drawing of my circuit. I bought the switch, relay and i got the rock lights. All that is left is a diode and a fuse.
well i only have one light done so far but i was able to wire in a relay and tap the power and ground at the courtesy light and got the led light to come on when you open or close the door and with keyless entry. I do plan on putting 1 under every door eventually. My wiring is not the same as it is in those photos but i will do a detailed write-up on my build thread and if a lot of people are interested, i might even do a how-to thread. I love it. Gives the blazer a nice modern high-end look!

I just got it done the other night so i dont have any pics of it lit up but dont worry, they will posted on my build thread soon.

Last edited by 95teal4x4; 02-07-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Cool. Be sure to post more pics.

So on your wiring diagram what is "KEM" the power source for the coil?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Cool. Be sure to post more pics.

So on your wiring diagram what is "KEM" the power source for the coil?
KEM was just the abbreviation for Keyless Entry Module where i was originally going to tap the ground for the relay which when that circuit closed, would trigger the relay. I decided it was easier to just use a splice connector and tap the hot wire and the ground wire for the Left floor courtesy light.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

SWEET! Definitely will be following the install.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Starting Member

for everyone who has replied to, subscribed to, or looks at this thread, i have posted a detailed write-up and how-to on my build thread. post #103, page 11 of my build thread. i look forward to hearing your comments!

since my signature no longer appears to be showing up on my posts, here is the link to my build thread;
https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...ts-pics-93630/

Last edited by 95teal4x4; 02-10-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: no signature, had to post a link