2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Big problem with timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 05:54 PM
Nola 77 is on a distinguished road

Finding out why not would be helpful

Old 08-26-2018, 04:49 AM
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road

you can see no grove and I clean it

I also turn the pulley full turn but, there are no marks on it and all surface is straight when I touched all around the balancer

Last edited by jimmy_for_ever; 08-26-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:15 AM
Starting Member
man0steel is on a distinguished road

Looks nothing like my 02 blazer. Noticed you have electric fans, don't recall that being an option. Seems as though somebody has made some modifications from factory equipment. It looks like there is a balancer there but I have never seen one without timing marks. Do what mike.308 said and that should get you back running. One thing to note is that when you pulled the distributor to begin with there was probably residual pressure on the oil pump (this is why "the distributor changed"). When you lifted the distributor out of the pump the shaft rotated a bit. In most cases before reinstalling the distributor the pump shaft has to be turned back so that when rotor lines back up to your original mark the pump drive drops into place. So when you do as mike said the distributor probably won't want to drop into place until you turn the pump drive a bit. Hope this helps and keep us posted, we will help you figure this out.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:22 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

You can also put a wooden dowel through the spark plug hole to monitor the piston movement to help you locate TDC of the #1 cylinder.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:34 AM

Looks like the outter portion of the balancer came apart id start with a new balancer

Old 08-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Id be willing to brt that at some point the elastomer that holds the two parts together separated and someone removed the busted half since the pulley bolts to the hub

Old 08-26-2018, 09:55 AM
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Whatever tomorrow brings (I bet You have the balancer, it's GM part of the engine) here what You can do:
- get an usb endoscope
- remove spark plug #1 and put the camera into the cylider
- bring the piston #1 to a top dead center
- set the distributor so the arrow will match the marker
- try cranking. If it does not start, means You're on the wrong TDC (cylinder goes twice to a TDC per cycle in 4-stroke engine). Turn the distributor 180 degrees.
Today my friend told me he knows how to set the timing and when I see him while he do the timing. He put the rotor parallel to number 1 on the distributor cap and before that put the cylinder 1 TDC . After 5 cranks with full turn of throttle body the car run put it runs poorly not smooth like before and black smoke coming from the tail pipe . Then the check engine light come on and when I hook up my OBD Scanner I get this code p1345.

Should I put the rotor on number 6 on distributor or he do it correct?

It can be from injector?

because my when I take my injector to repair shop for cleaning he break the injectors by pulling the injector hose from their place, then I go to junkyard and pull full spider set but the seller tell me he will not give me guarantee that the injectors will work .

Old 08-26-2018, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nola 77
Looks like the outter portion of the balancer came apart id start with a new balancer
This. Even if you can get it timed, you should still replace the balancer.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:20 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimmy_for_ever
Then the check engine light come on and when I hook up my OBD Scanner I get this code p1345.
If You were 180 off, then it won't start (ignition at open cylinder valves).
You're one tooth off the origin with Your distributor. The ECU cranks the engine, detects an improper timing (cam/crank sensors), so it is being recalculated. While recalculation it looks like engine nearly dies and it also raises triggers the check engine control on (timing mismatch) If you had a Car Gauge, then You could measure the angle. For negative -18.2 You have to advance the distributor one tooth. If You don't have Car Gauge, try advancing/retarding the distributor one tooth each side, 50% chance to win

Last edited by Mike.308; 08-26-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:33 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
You can also put a wooden dowel through the spark plug hole to monitor the piston movement to help you locate TDC of the #1 cylinder.
I gave a same advice to one mechanic, and later on I found the piston of that very engine scratched with a screwdriver or similar. Since that time I don't

Personally I've tried that once with an end of the tiny, round paintbrush. I didn't like it, as the moving valves were often pinching the wood and make it stuck.

Quick Reply: Big problem with timing