Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

Night Shots, help me pick

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:14 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

I'll try those things tonight. I'll need to run home and grab my hot shoe flash. I'm shooting with a Sony Alpha 300. I don't have any diffusers tho :/

Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 AM

Ended up shooting at a different place tonight after work, not sure how I feel about them. They seem too plain. Anyways here are a few.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Hmmm I like them. The setting may be a bit plain, but I really like the lighting.
3 or 4 are my favorite.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 AM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice pics! I like the last two.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

you got some composition issues, remember you rule of thirds

I like 3 and 4 up there, and 5 on the first post. good work so far, sharpen it a little and play with curves and you'll get a much better version. Oh yeah try a blue tinted scene and it seems more like night (see this, this was orange but I changed it. look better)

you should submit one to my calender :P

Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

The rule of thirds is why #3 and 4 are the best. That's why #1 and 2 are a bit "off" too lol.
I'm not sure I'd add a blue filter to the pics though. I rather like the orange look. It fits will with your truck, and adds a great effect to the pic. The curves could be played with a bit though. A little curve playing is always good. it can really improve the look of the pic.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Love #4...

Rule of 3rds: divide your picture into 3... example, a land scape pic is 2/3rds "foliage" or the actual landscape... the upper 3rd is sky.

In #4 you have ~2/3rds truck, 1/3 wall... Nice look, makes the angle nice too.

Essentially, the subject in your shout shouldn't be perfectly centred in the frame either, try avoid perfect balance... ummm... pictures where you can draw a diagonal through it or has a "leading line" are usually more aesthetically pleasing... there's a whole list of things lol.

Honestly, I'm in a class and I still don't know half of them lmao.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys. I enjoy learning as much as I can about this new hobby

Old 11-24-2009, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran

Rule of thirds is such a basic rule, but it's really what all good photography comes down to. The most amazing pics follow this rule.
I'm not sure if this help or not. And I'm not sure if this is the correct way to explain it or not (it's been a long time since I learned about photography/videography). My teacher in high school explained it like this:

Divide the pic/screen into 9 equal parts (ie 3 up, 3 across...rule of 3rds) Your point of interest(s) should be on one of those 4 intersection points or contained within one of the boxes. I think...my memory is failing me lol. Maybe Pat can explain it better...

Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

this group on flickr might help. ppl post what could use improving in ur pic:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/scoremycar/

sisk: yeah but the blue tint gives it that night time effect

Quick Reply: Night Shots, help me pick