Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

Safety Not Required

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 PM
BlueDevils is on a distinguished road
Default Safety Not Required

A buddy of mine on Facebook spotted this Chevy with painted over tail lights. I think it's unsafe and crazy. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Safety Not Required-1554469_10151920911648214_1616908943_n.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

There are paints that act like tint. I believe ohsofly has (or had, I can't remember if he got them fixed) these on his silverado. I wouldn't personally tint any of my important lights (headlights, tail lights, turn lights), but as long as you can see them when they're lit up, that's all that really matters.

He will probably get a ticket at some point though I'd imagine.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thogert
There are paints that act like tint. I believe ohsofly has (or had, I can't remember if he got them fixed) these on his silverado. I wouldn't personally tint any of my important lights (headlights, tail lights, turn lights), but as long as you can see them when they're lit up, that's all that really matters.

He will probably get a ticket at some point though I'd imagine.
I'd tint the lights on the jimmy just because the LED's are so bright.
But I went the better way and painted the boards black so they look tinted but do not sacrifice light output.

I have seen those painted/tinted lights in person. the output is not good at all.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Ok, yes, I'd consider tint if I was running 240(?) HPWTs.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

most of the products to do this including covers usually have a disclaimer on them "for off road use only"
In other words , if you use on the street expect a ticket

Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 PM
BlueDevils is on a distinguished road

I can understand using covers to protect the lens from being hit by a rock when off-roading or something but keeping them on while on the road just isn't safe as it is in the picture.

That's what I was thinking as well, richphotos. That tint looks like it'd be pretty difficult to even see the lights come on during the day. I wouldn't chance it and risk someone not seeing them come on and run into the rear end.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thogert
Ok, yes, I'd consider tint if I was running 240(?) HPWTs.
Yup, 240 LMAO

Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlueDevils
A buddy of mine on Facebook spotted this Chevy with painted over tail lights. I think it's unsafe and crazy. Thoughts?

DOT requires that tail and brake lights be red. A police officer looking to get his or her quota could use that as probable cause and start the ticket fest.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

People who smoke their tail lights don't get any respect from me. They're there for a reason to be like "HEY I'M SLOWING DOWN OR STOPPING YOU SHOULD TOO!"

not "I'm going to strain your eyes so by the time you realize I'm 25 mph slower than you, you're tickling my muffler".

Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Badco
People who smoke their tail lights don't get any respect from me. They're there for a reason to be like "HEY I'M SLOWING DOWN OR STOPPING YOU SHOULD TOO!"

not "I'm going to strain your eyes so by the time you realize I'm 25 mph slower than you, you're tickling my muffler".
agreed, i was actually behind someone with really dark tinted lights and i kept flashing my lights at them until i finally realized they DID have their lights on. thats how dark they were

might as well just unplug your brake switch. i kinda want to let people know im stopping

Quick Reply: Safety Not Required