Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1995 Blazer 4 door 4WD does not engage

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
hgreg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995 Blazer 4 door 4WD does not engage

I have 1995 Chevy Blazerwith 178K milesand the 4wd does not engage. It has a manual transfer case lever not an electronic switch to engage 4wd. I put in in 4wd about a week ago and everthing seemed fine, i drove around for few miles and seemed to be working great. about 3 days later when i really needed the 4wd it would not engage. i pulled the lever back to 4wd high and the light came on for a few seconds and that was it.

It had some work done about this time(sep 2007)last year. it had been leaking transmission and i took it to the dealer. he asked if someone had worked on in the past because there were 2 broken bolts in the transfer case retainer. I remebered a mechanic who had changed transmission fluild/filterand said it turned out to be a lot of trouble because the cross member was in the way. I wondered if the took a short cut and tried to jack up tranny and somehow broke these bolts. I'm just speculating here I'm not much of a mechanic.

In early 2007 dealer replaced tranfer case vacuum switch.

in October 2005 another mechanic had replaced the vacuum switch and 4X4 servo, this was the same mechanic who done the transmission service about 8 months prior which is when I seemed to start having 4wd problems. Also one of the symptons was that it would blow white smoke after being in 4wd and this mechanic said it had gotten transmission fluid in the vacuum lines. The leaking and white smoke issue continued until the dealer replaced the retainer and gasket as i mentioned above.

Anyways enough on the history. I have a friend whose a pretty good mechanic and has the right tools. He said to put a question on the forum about the problem now. if anyone has any suggestions as the why the 4wd does not engage or can suggest some tests to help determine I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1995 Blazer 4 door 4WD does not engage

The mechanical linkage should be engaging the transfer case without trouble. The problem is most likely in the engagement of the front axle. Fluid in the vacuum lines could restrict the ability of the system to engage the front axle.

On the 2nd gens, the actuator if located under the battery tray. You need to make sure that the actuator is pulling on the front axle engagement cable when in 4wd.

*Moving to Steering, Suspension, & Drivetrain* - 4wd problems fall under drivetrain.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Blazin_1t_up is an unknown quantity at this point

MINE IS DOIN THE SAME THING BUT NO ONE HAS EVER WORKED ON IT AND I DONT KNOW WAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Blazin_1t_up, I suggest you keep your questions to the thread you started already instead of posting in other threads that seem to be similar.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Blazin_1t_up is an unknown quantity at this point

OK