Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1999 2nd gen rag joint options and advice?

  #1  
Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 PM
christine_208's Avatar
BF Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 2,090
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 2nd gen rag joint options and advice?

Hi all,

So assuming I need to replace the rag-joint (steering coupler) on my 1999 Blazer, what are my options for parts? Is a standard replacement going to last me pretty well or are there alternatives I should consider? E.g. just the rubber disc? a u-joint? Below is the part available at RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...353619&jsn=467




Regarding the replacement; I've learned how to get the lower intermediate shaft with the rag joint out of the vehicle but what I don't know is how do you get the old joint bracket off that shaft. Any advice on that?
 
  #2  
Old 01-03-2019, 06:53 AM
chevyriders's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 825
chevyriders is on a distinguished road
Default

A lot of people go with the flaming river ujoint mod. It is much stronger, and will last far longer than a rag joint.

here is a link to a great how to... unfortunately all of the pictures appear to have been removed but it is still a great walkthrough.
Flaming river ujoint mod

There are also other ujoints that are much cheaper(iirc the flaming river is like 80 bucks) that can be used, you just need to search for one the correct size(specs are in the how to)
 
  #3  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 PM
christine_208's Avatar
BF Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 2,090
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by chevyriders View Post
A lot of people go with the flaming river ujoint mod. It is much stronger, and will last far longer than a rag joint.

here is a link to a great how to... unfortunately all of the pictures appear to have been removed but it is still a great walkthrough.
Flaming river ujoint mod

There are also other ujoints that are much cheaper(iirc the flaming river is like 80 bucks) that can be used, you just need to search for one the correct size(specs are in the how to)
Thanks! I did find that link on my own but it is nice to have confirmation that it is a worthwhile mod. Does anyone know the specifications for the joint it self that would fit our trucks? E.g. the shaft size and number of splines for the steering-gear end and the shape that fits the lower intermediate shaft end?
 
  #4  
Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM
cleburne red's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,270
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default

I've done the flaming River u joint mod to my truck. It's been about a year, and I haven't had a single issue. It's fairly easy to do. Just follow the instructions on the link above. I think there's a thread on this forum, as well.

I got the part number mentioned in the thread from summit Racing. I'm lucky to have a store close to me, so I was able to pick it up the next day


Edit: this is the thread I used. Followed it exactly, didn't have a single issue
 

Last edited by cleburne red; 01-03-2019 at 02:00 PM.
  #5  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:17 PM
New Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 56
Freewheel is on a distinguished road
Default

Been a mechanic my whole life (well not really, yet) and i guess i've changed 30 u-joints on every rag! And the closer to the exhaust manifold it is the faster the u-joint dry out, shatter the rubbeseals and rusts out, so i'd go for a rag type of thing! 👍
Best /Nils
 
  #6  
Old 01-03-2019, 05:29 PM
christine_208's Avatar
BF Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 2,090
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by cleburne red View Post
I've done the flaming River u joint mod to my truck. It's been about a year, and I haven't had a single issue. It's fairly easy to do. Just follow the instructions on the link above. I think there's a thread on this forum, as well.

I got the part number mentioned in the thread from summit Racing. I'm lucky to have a store close to me, so I was able to pick it up the next day


Edit: this is the thread I used. Followed it exactly, didn't have a single issue
Good to know.

Can you confirm the part number and post the end specifications for the u-joint used on the Blazers? e.g. the diameter and spline count for the end that attaches to the steering gear shaft, the size of the end that attaches to the intermediate shaft?
 
  #7  
Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM
cleburne red's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,270
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally Posted by christine_208 View Post
Good to know.

Can you confirm the part number and post the end specifications for the u-joint used on the Blazers? e.g. the diameter and spline count for the end that attaches to the steering gear shaft, the size of the end that attaches to the intermediate shaft?
I don't remember the measurements, but I do remember ordering the exact part # as in the thread, and it being correct.

Edit: maybe I can look up my summit order history

Looked up my order history. This is the exact one I ordered, and it fit my 1995 Blazer perfectly.


 

Last edited by cleburne red; 01-03-2019 at 06:38 PM.
  #8  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:29 PM
blazen_red_4x4's Avatar
Super Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake City, Florida
Posts: 1,381
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default

Another vote from me for the flaming river joint. Awesome repair/upgrade on the S-series chassis

 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
josemateos
2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
0
02-18-2014 10:00 AM
Guntheone
Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain
0
12-04-2010 05:59 PM
livinterror
Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain
5
12-28-2008 09:50 PM
88blackzcand95blazer
Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain
4
12-19-2008 08:13 PM
hoagmaster
2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
1
02-01-2008 02:50 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 2nd gen rag joint options and advice?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.