Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1999 2nd gen rag joint options and advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default 1999 2nd gen rag joint options and advice?

Hi all,

So assuming I need to replace the rag-joint (steering coupler) on my 1999 Blazer, what are my options for parts? Is a standard replacement going to last me pretty well or are there alternatives I should consider? E.g. just the rubber disc? a u-joint? Below is the part available at RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...353619&jsn=467

Regarding the replacement; I've learned how to get the lower intermediate shaft with the rag joint out of the vehicle but what I don't know is how do you get the old joint bracket off that shaft. Any advice on that?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:53 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

A lot of people go with the flaming river ujoint mod. It is much stronger, and will last far longer than a rag joint.

here is a link to a great how to... unfortunately all of the pictures appear to have been removed but it is still a great walkthrough.
Flaming river ujoint mod

There are also other ujoints that are much cheaper(iirc the flaming river is like 80 bucks) that can be used, you just need to search for one the correct size(specs are in the how to)

Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by chevyriders
A lot of people go with the flaming river ujoint mod. It is much stronger, and will last far longer than a rag joint.

here is a link to a great how to... unfortunately all of the pictures appear to have been removed but it is still a great walkthrough.
Flaming river ujoint mod

There are also other ujoints that are much cheaper(iirc the flaming river is like 80 bucks) that can be used, you just need to search for one the correct size(specs are in the how to)
Thanks! I did find that link on my own but it is nice to have confirmation that it is a worthwhile mod. Does anyone know the specifications for the joint it self that would fit our trucks? E.g. the shaft size and number of splines for the steering-gear end and the shape that fits the lower intermediate shaft end?

Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've done the flaming River u joint mod to my truck. It's been about a year, and I haven't had a single issue. It's fairly easy to do. Just follow the instructions on the link above. I think there's a thread on this forum, as well.

I got the part number mentioned in the thread from summit Racing. I'm lucky to have a store close to me, so I was able to pick it up the next day

Edit: this is the thread I used. Followed it exactly, didn't have a single issue

Last edited by cleburne red; 01-03-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Freewheel is on a distinguished road

Been a mechanic my whole life (well not really, yet) and i guess i've changed 30 u-joints on every rag! And the closer to the exhaust manifold it is the faster the u-joint dry out, shatter the rubbeseals and rusts out, so i'd go for a rag type of thing! 👍
Best /Nils

Old 01-03-2019, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I've done the flaming River u joint mod to my truck. It's been about a year, and I haven't had a single issue. It's fairly easy to do. Just follow the instructions on the link above. I think there's a thread on this forum, as well.

I got the part number mentioned in the thread from summit Racing. I'm lucky to have a store close to me, so I was able to pick it up the next day

Edit: this is the thread I used. Followed it exactly, didn't have a single issue
Good to know.

Can you confirm the part number and post the end specifications for the u-joint used on the Blazers? e.g. the diameter and spline count for the end that attaches to the steering gear shaft, the size of the end that attaches to the intermediate shaft?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Good to know.

Can you confirm the part number and post the end specifications for the u-joint used on the Blazers? e.g. the diameter and spline count for the end that attaches to the steering gear shaft, the size of the end that attaches to the intermediate shaft?
I don't remember the measurements, but I do remember ordering the exact part # as in the thread, and it being correct.

Edit: maybe I can look up my summit order history

Looked up my order history. This is the exact one I ordered, and it fit my 1995 Blazer perfectly.

Last edited by cleburne red; 01-03-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:29 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Another vote from me for the flaming river joint. Awesome repair/upgrade on the S-series chassis