Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2000 blazer swaying problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Starting Member
Gregj20 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer swaying problem

I have a 2000 4 door 4x4 blazer. I have changed the sway bar ends, ball joints, shocks (front and back), tie rods and had a wheel alignment. When I hit a bump it sways back and forth side to side. its even worse with four people in it. The guys I car pool with don't like it when I drive. Do you guys have any ideas what is causing this. I purchased the blazer as a daily driver to keep miles off my truck.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Beginning Member
mikepro is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever get an answer on this? I have the same problem now after changing the idler arm on my 99 Blazer. Very scarey at highway speed when driving on dippy road. Wants to sway left and right. Whited knuckle steering!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mikepro
Did you ever get an answer on this? I have the same problem now after changing the idler arm on my 99 Blazer. Very scarey at highway speed when driving on dippy road. Wants to sway left and right. Whited knuckle steering!
It only started after the idler arm? Did you get an alignment after you did the idler arm?

My best guess to the OP problem is worn out suspension.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

what kind of shocks did you install? How about the sway bar bushings? I'd also check for some mounting holes to be stripped. I had this sort of problem on a C30, and it was the U bolt that held the lower control arm to the frame was broken/stripped on one side.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Beginning Member
mikepro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Found my swaying/wandering problem

Finally warm enough today to lift the truck & get a good look. Was able to slightly move the wheels in & out when holding them in the 9 oclock & 3 oclock position. First thought was tie rod but all linkage parts were tight. On looking real close I could see movement between the pitman arm and the steering box shaft it is bolted to. Squeezed a pry bar in to make sure the arm was bolted tightly to the shaft, which it was. So it seems the cast pitman arm splines may be worn allowing just enough play between the arm and shaft that the truck wants to wander when hitting drifts in the road. Hope it's just the arm and not the steering box shaft as well. Anyone else ever run into this?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_4x4 is on a distinguished road

My 2003 4D 4x4 felt very similar to what you're describing. After I installing a steering stabilizer and then modifying a pair of coil-over shocks for the front, I've had no more erratic ill handling issues.

Here's how I modified coil-over shocks to fit my Blazer

Front Coil-over Shock Mod
https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspen...ock-mod-75652/

I hope you don't give up on your blazer now, after all you've invested into it.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 blazer swaying problem-steeringstabilizer.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

have any of you guys checked the body mount bushings? If you've got a solid suspension, then it has to be the next layer up.

Mine does not need suspension parts, but if it did - I'd start at the bottom and work my way up.

air pressure (I had a sway once, it was the right rear tire being 1/2 recommended pressure)
wheel bushings
various ends/joints in the front suspension
springs, and mounting hardware
body mount bushings and bolts/nuts
when the vehicle is swaying, do the doors move around? look for body flex.

It's a process of elimination... I hope someone finds it and reports back.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
timtim is on a distinguished road

my idler arm was installed wrong and it made a magor sway problem! Make shure your center link is level that is how i found the idler arm problem good luck.