Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2000 Envoy Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 AM
dmac122 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Envoy Air Ride

Hi. I'm new here and my kid just picked up a 2000 Jimmy- Envoy edition with the air ride suspension. The air compressor runs every time the truck is started. The right rear corner sags when parked. Are there seperate air bags for each corner, or are there air shocks. I'm kinda stumped and not really sure what im looking for.
Thanks

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dmac122
Hi. I'm new here and my kid just picked up a 2000 Jimmy- Envoy edition with the air ride suspension. The air compressor runs every time the truck is started. The right rear corner sags when parked. Are there seperate air bags for each corner, or are there air shocks. I'm kinda stumped and not really sure what im looking for.
Thanks
The system is only for the rear. The compressor running for a few seconds when started is normal. The system only uses one solenoid to pressurize both rear air shocks. If you don't hear a leak you should be ok, look for other causes for the lean.

Check the front and rear stabilizer bar mounts and links. check the simple stuff, tires all inflated properly and same size, brand and model. Similar wear on all 4.

Could even be something complicated, like a weak spring or torsion bar. Could have the alignment checked.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
dmac122 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll check. I think it might be a bad rear shock. The compressor runs for several minutes before shutting off. I'm assuming each shock is filled indepently. If its a bad shock, can i replace with any air shock of the right size? Or is it a specialty item?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a shock or a line. Spray down everything in the system with a spray bottle filled with good mixture of dish soap & water.

Air shocks are sold in pairs.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dmac122
Thanks, I'll check. I think it might be a bad rear shock. The compressor runs for several minutes before shutting off. I'm assuming each shock is filled indepently. If its a bad shock, can i replace with any air shock of the right size? Or is it a specialty item?
As stated earlier, Both shocks are filled and released collectively through 1 air line, if one is leaking or there is a leak anywhere in the lines, there will be little or no air lift. If the leak is large enough, the compressor will run longer, but is limited in overall running time to prevent failure.

The easiest way to check is to start vehicle, close all doors, then add weight to the rear to make it lower, if the compressor starts and raises it back up then stops and it stays without the compressor running again right away, it is not leaking. Then if you remove the weight and the truck lowers after a about minute, the whole system checks out.

Like "swartlkk" says they are sold in pairs (if one leaks, the other will soon). And they are specific to the vehicle. Multiple shock manufacturers should make replacements.

Whether your air system is working or not, the lean is not a fault in the Air Ride System.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

I have the same exact vehicle, but i did remove the air ride portion and keep the air to the rear cargo area to aid in filling tires or other items
with air, i installed the gabriel shocks for the jimmy and was able to lift it
also... but yea the shocks are availible from other companies, and a bit more pricy than standard shocks.
Robert