Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2001 Blazer 4X4 Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Rvega is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer 4X4 Trouble

Started to hear a loud whine on the interstate when letting up on the gas, got off at the first exit and could hear what I thought was a bad wheel bearing noise from the right front. Not so, nothing is binding or nashing but it sounds like it's slipped between 2X and 4X. It kinda sounds like when your driving over the warning strips on the edge of the roadway..... Anyway I had it towed to a gagage and they have had it three days now and are lost ...... They say when switched to 4X4 it works OK but in 2X it seems to be in between gears somehow. Al the lights on the Dash work fine, the cable is free and the vac. accuator is working fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From the sounds of it, your front axle engagement is not properly disengaging. This could be caused by a broken return spring in the front axle or a frozen engagement cable that runs from the front diff to the actuator under the battery.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Rvega is on a distinguished road
Default Update on 4X4 Trouble

You guys are going to love this, the garage called today after trying to figure out the 4X4 problem saying that they were stumped..... and to take it to a transmission shop. Now this is a repitable garage they have four stores in my town but were unable to diagnose this problem. They wanted to charge me $300.00 big ones for changing the vac accuator and time the mechanics spent trying to figure out the problem. I said no-way and they took the accuator off and again kinda told me to go else-where .... Before I left I asked why they changed the vac accuator and the head mechanic said his tech told him the accuator was pulled shut all the time and must be bad. I replied well that was dumb, if it is pulled shut and it's getting vaccum all the time then the TransferCase switch must be allowing vaccum to the accuator and is probably bad.... dughhh. I asked if he checked the Trans Switch and he said his Tech's spent a lot of time checking everything and then said the repair is beyond the scope of his Tech's. So away I went in 4W High without any problems.... it still would rumble if I tried 2W High... I suspected the Transfer switch so I pulled the three port plug off the switch, checked there was Vaccum so I plugged the port and tested it in 2W High, it ran perfect. So I pulled the switch and found it to be stuck open in 4W High mode, I sprayed the switch and it freed up and seemed to work perfect but I bought a new switch anyway installed it and presto all works perfect..... There is one thing that I still can't figure out so help me out here, HOW DID THE SWITCH GET STUCK PUSHED IN (4W HIGH) WHEN I NEVER SWITCHED MODES ON THE INTERSTATE ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it figured out. I would have thought that they would have checked the switch as a first step which is why I didn't mention it...

I wouldn't bother trying to reuse that switch. Its an $8 part last I checked... There is no real rhyme or reason as to why the switch fails.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM
chizgod is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same exact problem i read what your saying but i dont know alot about vehicles so ill ask what and where is the transfer switch?i have a 2000 blazer

Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chizgod
i have the same exact problem i read what your saying but i dont know alot about vehicles so ill ask what and where is the transfer switch?i have a 2000 blazer
its the switch on the dash