Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4.10 or 4.56

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The front is the IFS 7.2" ring gear. Summit's catalog sucks IMO. I'd go to ringpinion.com and have a go there.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Just for reference, the chart I posted was from Richmond Gear's site.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

This is interesting because I'm thinking of swapping out the 3:42's front & rear. I was just thinking going up to 3:73's for both, but now I'm rethinking that. The 32's I have on there now are what, 2.5" taller than stock? I think stock for mine was 235/70.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that you either have to get the conversion (thicker) gears or get a different carrier series to go from the 3.42's to 3.73's or lower gears (numerically higher).

Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

thanks Kyle, I wasn't aware of that, but IMO thicker gears would be a bonus unless the stock carrier might not be up to snuff?

sorry Tony, no hijack intended but this info is usefull for a lot of people & thats what BF is about, yes/no?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 PM
tony991 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rottidog
sorry Tony, no hijack intended but this info is usefull for a lot of people & thats what BF is about, yes/no?
Its ok lol

Do you guys know if this ring and pinion set will work on my truck in the front diff?
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...spx?ProdID=879

And will this work in my rear diff?
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=1077

I know it says its for an s10 so it probably will, but do i have to get anything else? I've been seeing shim sets and overhaul kits online. Do i need to get any of those?
I want to be 100% sure that they're gonna work before i order...

Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM

*bump*

Will those gears work for my 87' S10 Blazer?? lol

Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Looks right... just verify it with them when you order. That way you can check to see you don't need a different carrier also. Randy's is a good place to deal with by the way.
I assume you know this, but installing a gear set is not for the average shade tree mechanic. If you will be doing this job yourself, you will need specialized measuring tools, a torque wrench, and an assortment of shims. And don't forget a new crush sleeve if it uses one. The setup has to be perfect for it to work correctly. Do it wrong and you will be doing it all over again with all new parts. Just know what your getting into. I would suggest having a friend who has done it before help you.
Good luck my friend. I think you will be very happy with the results.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 AM

Ok.. I think i might have a shop do it then.. What kind of price range do you think a shop will charge for swapping out the ring and pinion gears?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

I am not telling you not to do it, just do your homework first. The first time I did it I had a friend who owned the measuring equipment and had done it in the past help me do mine right. It is not hard with the correct tools & know how.