Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4hi won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
misfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4hi won't disengage

Hey new to the boards here and have a question. Ive tried talking to a few mechanics around the area here and all they tell me is bring it in and well have to take a look at it (yea for a big fat fee).I am a good DIY'er so hopefully you can point me in the right direction.Ill try to give as much info as i can.

I have a 99 blazer 4 door loaded leather interior etc.
I havehad this problem for a while but now i get nothing I used to be able to push the button afew times and it would work.And now the battery died and it automactially tried to go to 4 hi.
I can not get it out of 4 hi all the light does is blink.No matter what button i push 2 wd, 4 wd auto, or 4 lo it auotmatically goes back to 4 hi and blinks.
I hear the little motor under the car in the transfer case making noise and the relay on the pass side kick panel clicking but nothing.
Ive smacked the motor, and control panel(on pass side) but nothing.
The only time i hear the relays click is when i try to get it in 2 wd.
I also can not get it in to neutral.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:06 AM
beecherr345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4hi won't disengage

Try your 4x4 actuator. I had a problem similiar to this not too long ago.. mine would either stick open or stick shut and wouldnt allow the switching of gears it would just blinkfor a little while and then kick back to whatever gear it was in.. OR it could possibly be a vacuum problem. the actuator is vacuum controled.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I would start with cheching the 4WD fuse in the panel. There were some issues with the switch in earlier years blowing the fuse when they went bad.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:08 PM
misfit is an unknown quantity at this point

well after a day of searching the boards.

I have checked all fuses and they are good

I removed the battery amd tray to check actuator/and all hoses all fine. cables is clean and easly moveable.started truck and watched actuator move when 2 wd button was pushed.

Took a peek at the TCCM all relays are clicking not sure if thats ok but im taking that as it working

i pulled down the whole encoder assembly to check out because it was making a funny noise. CLeane and checked all pluges going to encoder.
After installing it now i have nothing. I turn the truck on and it says its in 4lo which it is and then the lights go out and the service 4 wheel drive light comes on.

I have tried cyclinig the ingnition on and off 5 times but does not seem to do anything. I would have tried jumping #13 wire on the obd2 plug under the dash but theres no wire there to ground.

Any help would greatly be apprechiated