Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

taking rear sway bar off

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Beginning Member
vermillion2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking rear sway bar off

i know the functions of the sway bar. i know that its important to keep atleast the front sway bar connected while driving on the street. but does the one in the rear need to be connected or can i just take it out and not have to worry about rolling my blazer?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: taking rear sway bar off

What is your motivation for removing it? The rear sway bar does do quite a bit to keep the truck level, but not all Blazers came with a rear sway bar.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member
vermillion2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it off road every now and then and i know it increases flex. I know my blazer has it on there cause I crawled under and looked. Its not a big deal if i remove it or not, I just wanted to know what effects on the road this would cause

Old 06-17-2007, 05:41 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Kyle says it does keep the truck more level, however i ran without mine for a week and the things i noticed is of course more lean in the corners and when taking off alot of energy gets wasted in the truckleaning fromthe initial torqueand thus you will come off the line a little slower.

If you are wanting todisconnect for offroading what i would suggest is getting a set of washers and cotter pins so you candisconnect them and reconnect them easily as needed.I used to do this with a couple jeeps and it worked pretty slick.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Starting Member
stevelknievel is an unknown quantity at this point

ive had my rear swaybar off for quite awhile. there is a little bit more body roll but nothing terrible. and as far as it being level, never had a problem and i dont race very often but the truck really doesnt lean much under heavy acceleration.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The prescense of a rear sway bar does nothing for the front to back tilt of the vehicle under braking or acceleration. Sway bars only keep side to side lean controlled by pulling down on the non-loaded side of the vehicle while turning.

You should be perfectly fine without it. As stated by others, you can just make up quick disconnects for it, or just disconnect it when you hit the trails..